Refurbished Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Many who post on this forum also post on the Woodnet forum so what I am about to post will not be new to you. I thought this might be of interest to some of those who don't post on that forum. There is a guy whose screen name is"Rarebear" that refurbishes planes and does a fantastic job. I bought a Stanley 5C on ebay for $12.50 that was in dire need of some TLC. I sent it to him and for $30 he performed his magic. He completely stripped what little Japanning was on it and re-Japanned (is there such a word) it, flattened the sole, polished every metal part including screws, etc., sharpened the blade, and refinished the tote and front knob. I don't have a before picture but believe me when I say it wasn't very pretty or functional. Here is the result of Rarebear's efforts: My photos don't do justice to his work.

refurbplane.jpg

refurb2.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You need to be put in jail, because that is robbery!

12.50 for a plan 30 for repair, you got an excellent deal and it looks great.

Congrats

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's just not fair. I've spent hours flattening the sole and cleaning parts on a couple of planes. Figure I've done about 25% of the work needed :oops:

$30!

Great looking plane and a well deserved gloat.
YOU SUCK!

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that's a beauty! Thanks for sharing the price...makes me feel SOOOO good about my "buy high, sell low" approach to life!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you mentioned Rarebear...talk about good value for money! :icon_thum

That plane is certainly worth of Suckageous Maximus! :-D

Chuck

Steve W

New User
Steve
Sheesh. I was going to do my own fettling and refurbishing but may now go this route! That is cheap money for the amount of work obtained!

I never fixed amplifiers for that cheap - I can tell you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS