Red Cedar Bowl - NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Trying out a new shape with some fresh cut Red Cedar. One coat of Poly wipe so far. I think this bowl would look best with high buffed gloss.
What do you think?

I call it a tulip bowl. The rim reminds me of a tulip. 8" diameter x 5" high.

I plan to turn off the tenon and have no foot on the bottom.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Very nice work, Rick! I like the notch. It really accentuates the tulip.
FWIW my vote would be to leave it a satin finish, smooth sand it down to 0000 steel wool and a couple of coats of wax rubbed in real well. The shape just begs to be touched and that finish is very smooth and has a nice feel to it.
Jim

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Wow, Rick, look at the lip of the bowl. Even I could've told you it wasn't dishwasher safe! :eek:

Nicely done! :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job on that bowl. :eusa_clap I can see that bowl sitting on a coffee table and everyone will pick it up. I vote for a satin finish. IMHO

sawduster

New User
Robert
Now that is nice ! :icon_thum I loves me some cedar :eusa_clap

not a finishing expert by a long shot , but i have a cedar bowl that FredP turned and it is finished glossy and it looks awesome ! i'll try to get a pic later

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Now that is nice ! :icon_thum I loves me some cedar :eusa_clap

not a finishing expert by a long shot , but i have a cedar bowl that FredP turned and it is finished glossy and it looks awesome ! i'll try to get a pic later

dont you dare post a pic of that gawd awfull thing!:gar-La; there's a reason I gave it away ya know.:rotflm:

sawduster

New User
Robert
dont you dare post a pic of that gawd awfull thing!:gar-La; there's a reason I gave it away ya know.:rotflm:

ahhhh one man's trash is another man's treasure My Brother :wink_smil

......and The Shoppe Widow absolutely treasures that bowl man :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I really like the look or the rim. And the cedar is just gorgeous.:thumbs_up

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Nice bowl:icon_thum.Got me some ceder I need to go p/up.Makes me want to go get it today.But man it's cold out there:confused_.Try the satin finish first.Then if your not happy go with the gloss.Just my 2cent:icon_scra.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Beautiful work, Rick.
I especially like the lip profile. Tulip is the perfect name!
I've been playing around with some cedar myself.
I like the way cedar glosses up with just heat and sanding.
Mike P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors