Recommendations for Bathroom Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
So, in the next six months I may be looking at building some bathroom cabinets. I envision them being your basic shaker front cabinets in white. The last time I made something for bathroom, I chose a sprayed on waterbased acrylic from Homestead finishing. The piece was a step-stool for my toddler daughters... who are no longer toddlers.

The acrylic did not hold up very well with the girls stepping on it and such. I did not put a protective top coat over the white acrylic on the step-stool.

So, what type of finish would you suggest for bathroom cabinets that you wanted a solid white, easy maintenance finish. Brushing and spraying are both options.

Thanks for any thoughts or help you can provide.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
About 5 years ago, I replaced all of the doors and drawer boxes/fronts in two bathrooms using poplar. I then primed them with XIM Primer/Sealer/Bonder - 2 coats. The finish coat was done with Sherwin Williams ProClassic Bight White satin enamel. All brushed. They have held up very well with everyday use.

DSC00483.JPG

DSC004811.JPG

(Note. The primer was NOT odorless, but great nonetheless.)

I use the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic now for all projects needing a coat of paint.:icon_thum

Wayne

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
About 5 years ago, I replaced all of the doors and drawer boxes/fronts in two bathrooms using poplar. I then primed them with XIM Primer/Sealer/Bonder - 2 coats. The finish coat was done with Sherwin Williams ProClassic Bight White satin enamel. All brushed. They have held up very well with everyday use.
Wayne, how long did it take you to build the cabinets? Where'd you get the wood? Those are very nice looking cabinets.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, how long did it take you to build the cabinets? Where'd you get the wood? Those are very nice looking cabinets.

Thanks Mike.

Actually the cabinet bases were already there. They were all faced (including drawers and flat faced doors) with 1970's woodgrain melamine. I sanded and primed and painted all of the cabinet facefranes. Built new drawer boxes (4) and eight raised panel doors in about a week. Took about another week to apply the finish. (I work slow!:))

I believe at the time I bought all of the poplar on sale at Capital City Lumber in Raleigh.

Wayne

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Thanks all. I have used the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic before. It worked pretty well.

I guess it is time to start planning those cabinets.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS