Recent Greene and Greene table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
This is my most recent project, an interpretation of the Greene and Greene serving table from the Freeman A. Ford house in Pasadena, CA, designed in 1908. The original is a masterpiece of proportion and simplicity, and typifies the elegance of the Greenes' work. This table is done in quartered sapele, with ebony plugs and splines. I took the liberty of redesigning the front and rear aprons and rails, giving them a gentle curve, and adding cloud lifts. I carefully matched the grain in the aprons and rails to keep it continuous through the inner legs. The original had a small double segmented arc in the inverted lift on the upper rail, and I kept that detail in all of the lifts. I also added lifts to the breadboard ends, another departure from the original design. The proportions are very similar, although not exactly the same, and I kept the same layout for all of the ebony plugs in the base. The changes that I made were done in an effort to add a slightly more contemporary look, without straying too far from the Greene and Greene design aesthetic.Thanks for looking.Matt

DWSmith

New User
David
Terrific work. Looks like you have access to a high key or have one of your own. The photography looks very professional.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
David,

Thanks for the kind words. I am far from a photography professional, so I don't know what a high key is. I just got a roll of back drop paper, a couple of photo lights off eBay, mounted my camera on a tripod and had at it.

Matt

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work there Matt, with excellent presentation.

(I exspect to see one of photos of your table entered in this years calendar contest!)

The breadboard ends are especially cool!

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Wayne

stave

New User
stave
Beautiful lines and the changes made accomplished your intent elegantly. Really a wonderful job from concept to craftsmanship in construction to finish. One to be proud of without a doubt.

Stave

DWSmith

New User
David
I worked for a long time in a photo studio which specialized in furniture illustrations. Their high key was large enough to set up a mobile home in split town the length for advertising photography.

A high key is an area where the corners seem to disappear because of the matte finish, curved corners and absence of shadows on a wall. Normally the subject to be photographed is placed away from the back wall so all the shadows fall on the floor and aren'y readily visible. I try to do the same with my shots but I just don't have the room.

Your photos are very good and show the table off well.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Spiffy interpretation you have there. I must admit that I thought the top pic was from some computer graphics program, and not a pic of the real deal.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
the more I see of G&G examples the more I am attracted to it - you did a great job of incorporating the concept into this table and material selection makes the design stand out that much more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS