Rebuilt DP Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I finally got around to rebuilding my DP table. The changes were inspired by Sapwood's DP table I saw in his album.

I reused the old table by turning it over, adding another layer of tempered hardboard on top and laying out 4 T-Tracks instead of two and this time I made sure my quill handles didn't come in contact with the fence. :BangHead: I also beefed up the fence and added a T-Track there also for stop blocks. That $99 package of T-Tracks and other stuff from Hartville Tool really came in handy. The blue hold downs did not come from Hartville. They were on the original table.

Thanks for the inspiration Sapwood.

Attachments

• DP-Table.jpg
    DP-Table.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 275

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking rebuild Dolan.:icon_thum How do you like the dust pick-up on your DP? I have the same set up and find it is only effective if the table is up close to the pick-up nozzle. I think it would have a greater range if they added a few more knuckles to the tube to lengthen it.

D L

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I totally agree with your comments DL. I have tried other things that didn't work. This, even with its limitation is the best thing I have tried. I agree more knuckles would be a big help. I have scratched up the snout on mine trying to get it at the right sopt to pick up the chip and getting it too close to the chuck due to the inability to flex it like I want to.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looks good!

Here's a great insert idea I got from one of the forums: mount your table off-center or if building a table put your insert off center so that the drill doesn't go into the center. Then you can just rotate the insert 90/180/270 deg. when that location is buggered. If you use a square insert with proper placement you can get 8 areas by turning and flipping it upside down, if you make the insert round you can rotate it to get many fresh areas. Sorry, no pics.

T

toolferone

I here you talking about the dust pick up. Does it work really great or just okay? Are you using shop vac or big collector?

BTW the table looks great!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Pretty spiffy Dolan :icon_thum
Also like the drill bit storage . . . I need to do that :-D

Roger

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
toolferone said:
I here you talking about the dust pick up. Does it work really great or just okay? Are you using shop vac or big collector?

Tom, I have mine set up to a 2 hp cyclone and like Dolan have buggered the end a bit trying to get it close to the drill bit. I like Mike's recommendation of mounting the pick up to the table. This would probably work better as you raised and lowered your table to accommodate various sized work pieces.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
man it sucks being in iraq (when you see good ideas to do in the shop) i need to make a table for my drill press when I get back. Has anyone thought of making a mini down draft table for the drill press? Would it work as long as it is reenforced right? Im going to draw some plans up to see if I can do it when I get back. Be blessed everyone

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
michaelgarner said:
man it sucks being in iraq (when you see good ideas to do in the shop) i need to make a table for my drill press when I get back. Has anyone thought of making a mini down draft table for the drill press? Would it work as long as it is reenforced right? Im going to draw some plans up to see if I can do it when I get back. Be blessed everyone

Michael,
Are you referring to a down draft table to use with sanding drums? If so, I have a few example of various designs in some of my WW mags if your interested.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
DL,
That would be cool if you have the time,,if not I understand how busy you are. I was thinking of down draft for regular use as well for normal drilling with a larger dust extraction in the fence where the bit pushes the chips. Be blessed

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
The one disadvantage a downdraft table on the drill press would have is in my case I often use the drill press for drilling metal and things that I don't want in my dust collector. With a hose/tube pickup just leaving off the collector would be fine, but with a downdraft the metal/whatever would fall down into it so it would need to be removed from the press each time. Easily done I'm sure but I would probably find it a pain.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
toolferone said:

I am using a Collector and works "just okay". I believe it could be improved with more length to allow more adjsutments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS