Raised Panel Doors; how flat for the panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
Please see the pictures below. I milled these panels (9 1/4" x 33") and had them flat and neatly stacked on my tablesaw. Went out of town for a week and came back to find them warped. :BangHead: Is this amount of cup/twist OK? Should I cut them down the middle, glue clamp and mill again? Does it matter once I cut the shoulder of the panel? I just do not know what to do since this is my first raised panel doors.

Thanks.

wood_storage_011.jpg

wood_storage_012.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that you will be fine, as long as when you are raising the panels they are pressed flat to the router table. Once placed in the frames they will be as flat as the frames are, and will probably equalize over time.
I think your problem stems from having them stacked on your TS and that limitted the air flow around the freshly milled surfaces. If the stock was well dried, allowing it to get equal airflow on both sides of the panel might help them to flatten out.
MTCW,
Dave:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Yep I agree with DaveO. Having made more that I can count, you will be fine. as long as they don't worp any more.

Travis

New User
Travis
You guys are great, thanks for the advice. I never considered them drying unequal stacked and thus warping. I am going to spread them out and see if they come back any. It is nice to know that this stuff can be forgiving.

jglord

New User
John
Letting the wood dry evenly is a good idea and I agree with DaveO and skysharks about the panels probably being pulled into line by the rails and styles. After allowing the panels to dry, if they are still warped, place a panel on a flat surface and press it flat. If it takes a good deal of force to press it flat, they will probably warp the doors. If they press down easily, go ahead and use them as is, and let the rails and styles pull them flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS