Quick Finishing Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

The A Train

New User
Adam
Im still a young buck when it comes to woodworking, but I remembered that i had some old cigar boxes laying around that I could practice finishing on and thought they would make nice boxes for my coin collection.

Not sure on what type of wood is here, but I basically sanded the old finish off, evened the dovetails and lid, applied a light stain, and several coats of polyurethane. Sanded up to 2000 grit and shes butter smooth. Sometime tomorrow I plan on polishing it so it will really shine.

Heres a before and after pic. The finish on the after appears satin, but it is a gloss finish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408170205.485919.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Perfect! Turning something into something useful and adding practice to the equation.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. What an improvement over the "old" box!

The wood species is a mystery. If the inside of the box is unstained that could be a clue. Can you get a few close-up pics?

Would you characterize the wood as soft or hard?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The box is most likely lined with Spanish cedar like most cigar boxes. The outside could be any inexpensive wood local to the cigar manufacturer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Argghh! Does anybody read and comprehend the content of a statement or question?

My question was: "What does the interior of the box look like"?

Sure, it may look like mahogany on the exterior but it's been stained, etc. so who knows what it really is.

The A Train

New User
Adam
Argghh! Does anybody read and comprehend the content of a statement or question?

Sure, it may look like mahogany on the exterior but it's been stained, etc. so who knows what it really is.

Doh! Thats my chatham county education at work there. Im away from home but will take a pic as soon as I come back.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

Many read and comprehend the content of a statement or question. Whether they choose to answer your specific question is another story.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Adam, thanks for the new pics. Wood species aside and still unidentified but nonetheless it's a nice sturdy box.

1. It's not lined with spanish cedar as many more modern humidors are.

2. The lid appears to have about 6 tiny holes in an oval pattern. Perhaps there was a metal plate at one time fastened with escutcheon pins.

3. Pic 3. Is that a maker's mark or some sort of branding?

Rick M

New User
Rick
Box is mahogany or Spanish cedar, they are very similar. Looks great though. I sanded down a cigar box while back but it only had a very thin veneer, the wood underneath was somewhat plain.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Box is mahogany or Spanish cedar, they are very similar. Looks great though. I sanded down a cigar box while back but it only had a very thin veneer, the wood underneath was somewhat plain.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
I was going to suggest Spanish cedar as well, but who really knows?
Regardless - nice repurposing and good finishing job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS