Question on Cutting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Can you use Soft maple for an end grain cutting board. I know you can use Hard maple but didn't know what the difference was.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Soft maple isn't soft. It's just not quite as hard as hard maple. Definitely suitable for a cutting board.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Soft maple isn't soft. It's just not quite as hard as hard maple. Definitely suitable for a cutting board.

Thats what I thought, I just noticed a few of the plans call for Hard(rock) maple. I have some of the hard Maple and Soft Maple and couldn't really tell much difference other than weight.

Looks like I'll be starting a cutting board for the wife this week. :)

waynejnc

New User
Waynej
Here is a soft maple cutting board I made for my wife, I face glued soft maple (curly). It has gotten lots of use and has held up well. WJ
CIMG0708.JPG

View image in gallery

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Kevin , you can use about any wood on a cutting board using the end grain. It just wears and wears, but like stated already there realy isnt anything soft about soft maple. It will get the job done, I doubt you will ever wear it out. BTW, Im still looking for you to show up at the shop one day, R.K.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Kevin , you can use about any wood on a cutting board using the end grain. It just wears and wears, but like stated already there realy isnt anything soft about soft maple. It will get the job done, I doubt you will ever wear it out. BTW, Im still looking for you to show up at the shop one day, R.K.

I was thinking about that the other day. October has been a crazy month. I dont free up until after the first of November.... I'll try and shoot for after that. May just have to swing by one week night since your just down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS