Question: Cleaning new equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Start out using a disposable rag or heavy paper towl (get most of it).

Then, I think you use Naptha (availabel at any Big Box). or any HD degreasing agent will work, also

Pretty sure!

M

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Well, it is painful. I had good luck with a mix of kerosene and WD40 followed by naphthalene to remove any remaining stuff and traces of the cleaning solution. Brake and carburator cleaner works well on hard to reack places.
I also remove all traces of oil and grease. The only lubricant I use is Dow321 (it is a dry lubricant). There is no buildup of saw dust/oil mix (which seems to turn into concrete over time).

Happy Cleaning...and use plenty of ventilation!

Cheers,
Bernhard

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
mineral spirits aka paint thinner. you probably already have some and it does not smell as bad as some other solvents.
James

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Plastic scraper if it's really thick and goopy to get the bulk.
Then paper towels to get the heavy buildup.
Then shop towels (the red ones at Harbor Freight are great for this) with some sort of solvent. Naphta, kerosene, mineral spirits etc. WD-40 works great too, but it's more expensive (unless you're like me and have 4 bottles because you keep misplacing them in the shop, garage, kitchen cabinet etc.).
Also, pour the solvent into a small container. Don't put a dirty rag against the mouth of the big container, unless you use that solvent only for cleanup (and not for thinning finishes)
Q-tips for hard to get places.
As Bernhard said, plenty of ventilation. A respirator is also a good idea.

Dragon

New User
David
What is the best technique for removing cosmoline from cast iron?
Judging by the postings here, you ain't quite ready to tackle that job.:no: Load it up and bring it over here to me and I'll clean 'er up and check it out for ya. Outta have it done and back to ya in say .....
'bout 7 or 8 years or so depending on the weather. :banana:

It's a ton of work and after you're done, unless you're just into hard work and sweat, ya won't wanna do that no 'gin anytime soon.

M

McRabbet

Brian,

I've had good success using a citrus-based degreaser -- spray it on, wait a few minutes and wipe off the gunk with paper towels. When I bought my power tools from Grizzly, I purchased a product called "Degreaser for Tools and Machinery (G7895)", but it is no longer offered. Grizzly's nearest substitute is their H9692 Orange Power Degreaser, which is only $6.50 for a spray can. You should be able to find comparable products at your local Auto Parts store -- just be sure to get a citrus-based product and you will avoid the solvent hazards and any damage to painted surfaces. I finished the cleaning process with a light spray of WD-40.

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
Thanks Everyone - I used WD-40, followed by Mineral Spirits, Citrus degreaser, and Paster Wax. It's shining like a mirror. Table saw is done, jointer is next. I will post descriptions and photos after everything is set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS