Quality Plywood Around Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I know we've covered this before ... but I don't remember the answer and couldn't find the thread. And now we have many more members ... so maybe I'll learn something new.

Where can I buy good quality (baltic birch or similar) plywood in the Charlotte area at a reasonable price?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I don't know about Charlotte but the hardwood store of NC in Gibsonville delivers to the Charlotte area on a regular basis. Not a bad Saturday morning drive either. They had a nice selection last time I was there.

cskipper

Cathy
The only place I would know of is WC or possibly Klingspor. You can always order it from several places online. You will not find it in a BORG.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I bought a couple sheets of Baltic Birch from Klingspor early this year. I'm not clear on whether they still stock it since the inventory modifications (affiliation with Rockler) but the price was decent when I bought it. Woodcraft doesn't have it.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I bought a couple sheets of Baltic Birch from Klingspor early this year. I'm not clear on whether they still stock it since the inventory modifications (affiliation with Rockler) but the price was decent when I bought it. Woodcraft doesn't have it.

Also, I've never been to Wurth. Is it consumer friendly, or mainly for businesses?

Klingspor was actually getting their BB from Wurth, but they have quit stocking it. I have always had good experience working with Wurth.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Guys-
Your right, Wurth is the only place locally that I know of-but there price is sky high right now-Horizon Forest products Charlotte operations didn't work out so there out of the picture:gar-Cr So it's high prices or keep your eyes on the board for good deals!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I buy it locally for me which is in the Columbia, SC area. A couple hours from Charlotte. It seems like I paid about $30 for a 5x5 sheet of 1/2 inch last time I got some. The guy is only open afternoons during the week (noon to 4 if I remember correctly). I can look up the phone number if you are interested. He's not too far off I-77 (I think less than 10 miles and only a couple turns).

Jim

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Wurth will work, but definately not a good price from what I remember

I read about a place named A&M Supply --- anyone heard of it? Do they sell to the public?

I'm only looking for a couple sheets ... maybe 3 to 5 depending on price and quality.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Sounds good Jim!
Details on the Columbia, SC dealer? I can take my truck on my next business trip and bootleg some back.

Jeremy,
I called the people in S. Charlotte who had the cut-offs last year and they have not done any more production using BB ply. She didn't know when they would start on it again but said she had a long list of names to contact when they started.

Mark

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wurth will work, but definately not a good price from what I remember

I read about a place named A&M Supply --- anyone heard of it? Do they sell to the public?

I'm only looking for a couple sheets ... maybe 3 to 5 depending on price and quality.

Looks like they are worth checking out! Here's a link to their site.
Let us know what you find out!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jeremy,
Check with Dixie Ply and see if they sell retail. They are up your way. If you can't find the number for them let me know, I've got it at the shop.
Rob

charlie s

New User
Charles
Jeremy:

I have dealt with A and M and have no complaints with them. That's the good news. The bad is baltic birch plywood has really jumped up in price the past couple of years. I was flabbergasted with how much the last couple of sheets cost, but A and M is still the best price around.

Charlie

cskipper

Cathy
There are some site online where you can order BB. Won't guarantee the prices are any better, but if not a lot worse, it's delivered to your door. I can dig online sources if you would want.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The place in the Columbia, SC area is Woodworks Inc. Address is 237 Glenn Rd. The phone number is 803 791 7371. I think his hours are noon to 4pm but I always call first. His lumber is stored in tarp buildings - pretty rustic but it is kept dry. You want to take I-77 all the way to exit 1 and you will be within 10 miles. The guy that owns the place also answers the phone. He can give you better directions than I can but it is not real hard to find. All his hardwood is planned. He does not have a huge inventory but he saves me driving to Charlotte most of the time.

Jim

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The last I heard they are having trouble harvesting the tress (because of all the rain they have had) that they make BB ply out of in the Baltic region over seas. The price is going to be high no matter what because of this

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
The last I heard they are having trouble harvesting the tress (because of all the rain they have had) that they make BB ply out of in the Baltic region over seas. The price is going to be high no matter what because of this

Yeah, I'd say that will cause the price to be sky high.

For what I want, it doesn't have to be "baltic" birch, but just an equivalent. I had purchased "russian" birch previously and it was equally as nice. Are there any other direct comparisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS