QS Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Ted called me up and has run across an OLD poplar that's begging to be QS'ed. I figured I would post it here and see if there is any interest. If there is I'll go ahead and QS it into 4/4 boards and take it to Scott to be KD. Ted said it's a long way up there before there's a limb, and it's good and healthy, so it should be pretty clear old growth lumber. It's not all that common to run across an old poplar like this for sawing. Mainly see em in protected forests. We'll have to quarter the logs with a chain saw just to be able to get the quarters on the mill, no joke, it's that big.

Please reply to this post if your interested. I really hope there's enough interest, I would love to get this on my mill, spend a little time with it and make some wide old growth QS boards...

I have a few picture of a larger dia poplar I QS, it pales in comparison to this one. But you can get an idea what the grain pattern looks like. There won't be any cathedral grain, it'll be straight QS grain like this.

QS_Poplar.JPG

Thanks

J

jeff...

I did some figuring and it looks like the price will be $2.85 a BF. That'll be kiln dried to a target of 6~8% MC, 4/4 rough cut ready to work as soon as you get it back to your shop. Did some checking around and it seems to be in line with what I've seen elsewhere, plus this will be QS and some of the boards will be quite wide but no wider than 24", that's the limit on the jaw opening of my WM.

Let me know if you still interested, I see a few folks posted already but would like to see more interest before I go ahead a purchase the logs.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Sorry guy but it doesn't look like there is enough intrest. Admins please close this thread :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS