QR Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know the Admin Team has a lot to do now, and this is certainly not a huge priority, but does anybody know anything about 'QR' Codes? The little squares that Smart Phones can read and access websites & such? Although I have a Blackberry courtesy of my employer, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to look into adding this to our banners for non-club events (i.e. Klingspor, WWing Shows, etc.) to help potential users/members find our site? I did a search there are sites that will generate our website address for free. Is this something we may want to look into? Are there any risks from an Admin standpoint?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've used them a bunch. They are not a big deal at all.

I think your idea is excellent to add it to promotional stuff.

Only risk I've found is finding a QR Code generator that does not do any monkey business with redirection. Some wrap stuff. Easy enough to check with a magic decoder ring

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
As Jim said, not too difficult to do. We could just have the QR code point to our home page, although we might want to generate a few special ones for the raffles, calendar etc.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm thinking of it mostly in terms of printable text (banners, flyers, etc.) as we always have hyperlinks on the site. The BOD has suggested we get a second banner & this could be incorporated into that. It could possibly also be added to our original banner as a stick on.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
One additional suggestion, setup a special/alias URL for the QRCode.

Its a great way to track the use of the QR Code. Shame to lose that easily gathered data.

QR Codes do offer some size options. Comes in handy when stuffing one on the back of a business card.

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The website that came up in the search also printed T-shirts with a QR code............

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm thinking of it mostly in terms of printable text (banners, flyers, etc.) as we always have hyperlinks on the site. The BOD has suggested we get a second banner & this could be incorporated into that. It could possibly also be added to our original banner as a stick on.

What do you mean a second banner? Two banner ads?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm talking about the vinyl banner you & I put up on 2 x 4s @ the Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory.

ehpoole

Ethan
The problem, as I see it, is that we have at least 3 major competing technologies (QR, DM, and HCCB) that all do the same thing. Many people don't have the ability to use any of them (not without intentionally downloading and installing a suitable decoder) and those that do typically have just 1 of the 3, with no one being substantially dominant.

For instance, I regularly encounter HCCB tags and have a suitable decoder on my WM6 phone, but I do not have an app installed for either of the other 2... and the same can be said for many other users.

At present they are all only slightly above gimmick status, IMHO.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I saw but have not looked into a qr code generator that's an add on to vB. generates links to a ny part of the website. I don' know if they are suitable for up scaling to a large banner.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I brought this up because we will have the banner up at the CLT WWing Show. Insofar as scaling up, I have seen vans running around CLT with QR code blocks as large as 2' square in their graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS