Q for those w/ "left-handed" benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
My basic question is, "Would you do it again?"

I'm a leftie, and I see distinct advantages to having the front vise on the right side and the tail vise on the left end, esp. if I get more Neander as I progress in the craft. But every time I envision a bench, my mind automatically goes to what I know - the left-front / right-end combo. And I think part of it is that the way my shop is laid out - there's a support post just off the left end of my bench area, which might interfere with tail vise operations sometimes - maybe. But then again, the tool cabinet on the right end is definitely in the way frequently.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am a rightie and my first bench was a leftie as I built it backwards from the plans accidentally. All in all, it wasn't bad to use. I have since built a bench for a rightie and it is definitely better at least for me. I can see that a left hand bench be easier for a southpaw.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I am a Leftie, too, and I have my workbench set up that way - end vise on right end, front vise on left front. Works for me!!!!!!! After all, we Leftie's are in our Right Mind!
Jim in Mayberry

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Y'All have me confused as to lefthanded, right handed. I have my tail vise on the right front end, and the front vise on the left front as the side of the bench faces me. I am "right handed" but find when planing I frequently go both directions, especially as the wood grain changes. (I am a bit ambidexterous as I have taught myself to spraypaint, handsaw, etc left or right handed and getting planing within tolerable limits). The tail vise works well planing either direction. For jointing, the front vise holds well for also for either direction (tail vise holds the support for long boards or I clamp them to the skirt). For dovetailing, etc, the position of the vise on the fence has not seemed to be a big issue. I normally tighten the front vise with my left hand and the tail vise with my right hand.
So, I guess what I am saying is that if the vise holds well, is it an issue? Guess I am not even using my bench to its potential.

Go

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Yes, I am building my first bench that way. It all depends on what works best for one in the shop space, I guess.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm neither a lefty nor a righty. I write with my left hand, but if I pick up a hammer, the "natural" hand is the right one. I can use a screwdriver with either hand. To figure where to put the vice on my bench, I clamped a board to the table, picked up a plane, and made shavings. Turns out that I do most of my woodworking as a righty.

You mentioned that when you think of a bench, "my mind automatically goes to what I know - the left-front / right-end combo". Don't underestimate that. Use something that approximates your bench-to-be, and do some basic woodworking tasks. Planing, paring, sawing, cutting your finger etc. See what feels natural. Don't worry too much about shop orientation, that's what a mobile base is for.

And if you're really not sure, forget the tail vise and put two front vises on it. Then work with it for a few years and see which one is worn the most :)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Is it an issue? I would say no, only if you think it is. For the lefty bench I had (tail vise on left, front vise on right), I seemed to always be running into the handle on the tail vise.

cpw

New User
Charles
I'm neither a lefty nor a righty. I write with my left hand, but if I pick up a hammer, the "natural" hand is the right one. I can use a screwdriver with either hand. To figure where to put the vice on my bench, I clamped a board to the table, picked up a plane, and made shavings. Turns out that I do most of my woodworking as a righty.

You mentioned that when you think of a bench, "my mind automatically goes to what I know - the left-front / right-end combo". Don't underestimate that. Use something that approximates your bench-to-be, and do some basic woodworking tasks. Planing, paring, sawing, cutting your finger etc. See what feels natural. Don't worry too much about shop orientation, that's what a mobile base is for.

And if you're really not sure, forget the tail vise and put two front vises on it. Then work with it for a few years and see which one is worn the most :)

Bas,
This is probably the best advice I've gotten so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS