Prototype pawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I would like some honest feedback on this prototype pawn I came up with. I think the version I will go with I will reduce the diameter of the top of the pawn. The part right under the ball. I'm pretty happy with this design overall though. Not bad for my first piece ever.

prototype_pawn.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like it and I agree with your intended design modification. Now make a bunch more that match :-D

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Looks good Clay :eusa_danc :icon_thum I also agree with the design change. Are you going to use a duplicator? I would like to know how that works out

Monty

New User
Monty
Great detail in that piece. I think top sphere looks the right size, maybe just reduce the size of that "skirt" underneath?

EDIT: hehehe... just re-read what you posted... guess that's what you meant by "The part right under the ball", eh? :-? :lol:

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Clay, nice work. I don't know what wood you intend to turn your chess set from but I would recommend you try to find some boxwood for the light colored pieces and some blackwood for the dark pieces. Both of these woods are perfect for the fine detail you have there and turn beautifully. Keep your tools sharp and your pattern handy for reference. I admire anyone with the perseverance to turn an entire chess set.:icon_thum

T

toolferone

I knew you could do it. As above all is good, including your change.

J

jeff...

Clay, I'm very glad you decided to turn your own chess pieces. I think your pawn looks great as is, but I guess I'm simple minded. Lord knows I'm no turner by any means, but I would like to suggest the following changes. Which may make it easier to duplicate and less complicated.

Thanks

Attachments

• prototype_pawn_draft.1.jpg
    prototype_pawn_draft.1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 180

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Clay, I'm very glad you decided to turn your own chess pieces. I think your pawn looks great as is, but I guess I'm simple minded. Lord knows I'm no turner by any means, but I would like to suggest the following changes. Which may make it easier to duplicate and less complicated.

Thanks

Gonna do Holly and Ebony for the pieces??

clowman

Clay Lowman
It is a 2inch tall pawn, with the idea of the king being near 4 inches.

As far as wood, I thought to make it from maple and walnut, the same as the board is made of. Would it be better to use different species for the pieces?

As far as duplicating the pieces. I don't have a duplicator.

Here it is on the board.
pawn_on_board.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Clay, you design looks great, but Jeff's suggestion re: simplifying might be worth considering, ONLY because you don't have a duplicator and there are so many pawns to make. But then again, you've developed into such a good turner that you will probably have no problem making them all match. I think you might want to use different woods because chess pieces sitting on a square of the same wood could be more difficult to see when "strategizing" your next move. Keep up the good work!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, those chess pieces will look great Clay. I look forward to seeing all of the pieces once you get them turned.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS