proper use of "sucks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I thought this may cross the line a little

I really hope that guy refunds you your money. That's too bad. I was hoping to dish out a "you suck" on a nice gloat, but instead I'll have to dish out a THAT GUY FROM EBAY SUCKS! :no: At least it wasn't a really pricey item though. Good luck!

it was posted in a thread about a router bit purchased from ebay, What do you think? or am I being paranoid?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Tracy,
I think it's probably ok. Maybe just keep an eye on the thread and make sure it doesn't go in a wrong directions.

TracyP

Tracy
Thanks Mike, that was kind of my feeling, but I wanted another opinion

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think we need to keep the 'you suck' to a real minimum. We don't want to get into the position of having to decide or to explain why the expression is OK in one context and not OK in another.

Ray

M

McRabbet

I'm beginning to think that "You Rock" would be a better term...

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, I don't think I have used the "You Suck" comment for sometime now, I instead have used something else like Envy to express my feelings. I agree with all that we should migrate away from using that phrase.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've shied away from saying it because my Mom hated it and beat it into my head that is sounded ugly. I would be all for something else. :-D

TracyP

Tracy
I am all for "you rock" or " you da man" or anything that is less graphical to describe the sense of jealousy over the purchase of tools. Unfortunately some people take a simple phrase and use it out of the context that it is meant for. What do you think?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
let's be the early adopters of this practice, and be a good example of the direction we would probably all prefer. Any encouragement is better than telling someone how much they suck.

TracyP

Tracy
let's be the early adopters of this practice, and be a good example of the direction we would probably all prefer. Any encouragement is better than telling someone how much they suck.

I am new here to the moderators and would like to help do something positive. I have often wondered what a new member would think about seeing repeated posts telling someone that they suck. I know it was a month or two before I read the lexicon on the main page to figure what the phrase meant. I did not mean for this thread to go off on a tangent but I think we could set a new example here. I am all for a new "WORD". I really do not like it when my kids, "mostly grown now" say to their siblings or friends "YOU SUCK or THAT SUCKS". Thanks for listening to me rant.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I agree. We should try and "de-promote" the use of the term, if we can. A member of our forum brought the use of the term up to me (offline) and expressed a concern for 1.) It's overuse and 2.) new members who are not familiar with its context. I really had to agree, even though it is explained in our Lexicon.

(My only concern would be that some members may feel that we have gone too far or are over-moderating?:eek:)

Wayne

TracyP

Tracy
I think that from this time forward I will attempt to use a different term. I have been guilty of using the term you suck on many occasions and have re-read my own posts and wondered why I said it when there are much more respectful terms available to me to describe the same feelings. Are there any suggestions from the other moderators as to a universal term that would imply the same emotions?

M

McRabbet

I added the definition to the Lexicon several months ago when the question did come up about the obtuse meaning. I might revisit it and suggest that staff are considering making the term obsolete...
Current Definition: Suck - A term used to congratulate purchaser of a new tool -- translates to "I'm jealous!"
Revised Definition: Suck - A term once used to convey jealousy when someone bought a new tool -- replaced by "You Rock!"

Wadda you think?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Works for me, Rob.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

But the question is implementation without upsettin' the apple cart??

Perhaps if we as staff, revert to the new term (You Rock), members will follow.

Wayne

TracyP

Tracy
I added the definition to the Lexicon several months ago when the question did come up about the obtuse meaning. I might revisit it and suggest that staff are considering making the term obsolete...
Current Definition: Suck - A term used to congratulate purchaser of a new tool -- translates to "I'm jealous!"
Revised Definition: Suck - A term once used to convey jealousy when someone bought a new tool -- replaced by "You Rock!"

Wadda you think?

IMHO I think that would be awesome. It won't take long for it to catch on as a replacement term if all of the moderators and administrators agree and start using the replacement term. If I have overstepped my boundaries, someone please tell me. I plan on being a moderator on this site for a long time and don't intend to rock the boat, so to speak.

It only takes doing something 21 times before it becomes habit.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
that's what I was suggesting, by becoming the 'early adopters' of the new standard.

M

McRabbet

IMHO I think that would be awesome. It won't take long for it to catch on as a replacement term if all of the moderators and administrators agree and start using the replacement term. If I have overstepped my boundaries, someone please tell me. I plan on being a moderator on this site for a long time and don't intend to rock the boat, so to speak.

It only takes doing something 21 times before it becomes habit.
YOU ROCK! but no more habits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS