Project/material advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Hey folks,

Need some advice on a couple projects. A friend has asked me to make a doll's wardobe for their daughter (similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Wardrobe-18-Doll-Clothes/dp/B0010AI19G).

I was thinking I might use MDF for this as I have a couple 1/2" sheets. Pro & cons?? If not MDF, what type of wood would be good choice? It will be painted and I don't think they want it having a wood look, which is why I was thinking MDF.

Second project... same friend asked if I could build them a mud room locker (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Miller-915-013-Pennington-Mudroom/dp/B003EEMPUC). They want three lockers instead of two, but I imagine that's an easy modification.

This would be my biggest undertaking so far, so I'd like to find a set of plans if possible. I'd also like some advice on wood for this as well. They obviously want it to be cheaper since they asked me :gar-Bi, but I do want to use something that will hold up to kids using it.

Thanks!
Dave

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Well since I have not done anything like either of these two projects... I feel highly qualified to advise you! :gar-La;

If you have enough MDF (and can stand working with it!), a doll's wardrobe seems like a suitable project. I'd plan the joinery for all glued joints, but I'm not sure about mounting the doors. I have almost no MDF experience and have not used screws in any. You have to use the right screws, and that may not work for mounting hinges. As they say - "Make sure you have all the hardware first, before you start on the project."

As to the mudroom locker, this is a natural project for plywood (at least for me). Something smooth and paint-able - not quite sure what grade that is. MDF is smooth and paintable - but as you already gathered, I have no experience with it, and so could not recommend it here. I'd use 3/4" plywood for exterior at least, and 1/4 or 1/2" for the back, and at least 1/2 or 3/4" for the dividers. If the bottom is a drawer and not a door, then I'd be sure to use fairly heavy duty cabinet hardware (drawer glides; rated in pounds they carry).

As to plans - well Google it and start looking!

Hope that helps.

Henry

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'd use 1/2" poplar or maple or cypress (etc) for the doll's wardrobe. The pediment could easily be cracked in MDF and I imagine a lot of opening/closing (read slamming) of the doors!

I assume 'Ty Pennington' is an entertainment figure to explain the extra $1,000.00 on the price of the locker. On that piece, I would use whatever I had lying around. In your case, I'd double the 1/2" MDF for the ends and seat box. The top and back could be 1/2" MDF. A lot of screws and glue and a fair amount of drywall compound for the edges and it should paint up nicely.

Let us know what you decide and your progress pix!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As for the doll wardrobe, I'd tell them to buy the one from Amazon. For that price, it's not worth the frustration to build and paint it.

The mud room locker is a different story. As Joe implied, it seems somewhat overpriced. I'm not a fan of MDF for anything other than assembly table tops and jigs, so I'd recommend 3/4" birch veneer plywood w/ edge banding. Definitely 3/4" for the seat and end panels: you may get buy w/ 1/2" plywood for some of the interior vertical dividers / supports. That will give you a sturdy, paintable surface. But w/ the dimensions you're now talking about (~60" wide), it will be very heavy. I would probably build and finish it in the shop, then assemble it on-site.

Also, at ~60" wide, I would definitely break that bottom drawer into two, or maybe even three drawers. Same thing w/ the top two shelves: add extra vertical supports to prevent sagging.

HTH

Bill

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks for the advice on this! Some very good suggestions that I'll keep in mind for these projects.

I currently have both 1/2 MDF and 3/4 birch plywood, plus quite a bit of poplar boards. My friend would just buy a wardrobe, but they want their daughter's name carved in it, which is why they've asked me. I may just tell them to buy one they like and I can add the name to it! :wsmile:

If they still want me to do the entire thing, I'll give it a go with the poplar I have.

Once I get started on these (and if they turn out presentable :gar-La;) I'll post some pics.

Thanks again!
Dave

Weber

New User
Larry
I built that same mudroom locker with 3 sections for my daughter a couple of years ago. 3/4 paint grade maple plywood. I built a face frame [pocket holes screws] as the first step [3/4 soft maple], then built the end units and attached them to the face frame. I then just attached the center section horizntal pieces to the the end units. The face frame gave the unit a lot of rigidity. Added a bit crown around the top just for. I sprayed and moved it all as one unit.

One thing that made my job a bit simpler. My daughter wanted baskets rather than drawers ocross the bottom. She bought the baskets and then I built the unit to fit.

It does become a big heavy piece. I was lucky I had the room to build it and the trailer to move it and it's destination was right inside her back door.

Unless you've got the room, the logical thing is to built it in three sections, paint, move, assemble and touch up as needed.

The best thing about it is "it brought order to the mud room"! Time well spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS