Pretty as a picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Here is a night stand I finished today and delivered to a happy client. This is a combo of Walnut burl veneer and Mahogany. One of the few times I have mixed woods on a piece. I think it turned out pretty good.

DSCF0328.JPG

DSCF0330.JPG

DSCF0327.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Pretty Good?:dontknow::dontknow: I hope to see what you would call beautiful:notworthy:.

I think it is awesome!

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Nice design, and wonderful finish! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
To me, the walnut burl veneer seems to have a "glowing" effect.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Really nice combination of woods and great workmanship!

It will be interesting to see the piece in a few years after the wood darkens.

Regards,

Bill

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Michael,

The burl veneer looks awesome with the mahogany!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

If you don't mind....what did you use for a substrate for the veneer?

(Last month, I visited a family friend up in Ohio who does a lot of his furniture builds with veneers and has gotten me really interested in veneer work! Of course he has been doing it for about 40 years and obviously I have a lot to learn!:confused_)

Your table really turned out nice!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile: (I really like the beading as well!!)

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara
As always I enjoy your work. I love burl and you really brought out the beauty in it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Michael,

The burl veneer looks awesome with the mahogany!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

If you don't mind....what did you use for a substrate for the veneer?

(Last month, I visited a family friend up in Ohio who does a lot of his furniture builds with veneers and has gotten me really interested in veneer work! Of course he has been doing it for about 40 years and obviously I have a lot to learn!:confused_)

Your table really turned out nice!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile: (I really like the beading as well!!)

Wayne

Wayne,

I used a piece of good 3/4" ply and made a groove around it, centered. Then I made a frame from mahogany with a tongue on it to fit the groove. Mitered the corners and glued the frame to the ply. I covered the bottom of the ply with regular walnut veneer; cause that is what I had and of course covered the top with the burl veneer. I used my vac bag and did both sides at the same time. After curing, I trimmed the veneer and sanded the edges. I thought about profiling the edge of the top but didn't want to chance messing up the burl. Sometimes less is best.:gar-La;

Mike

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne,

I used a piece of good 3/4" ply and made a groove around it, centered. Then I made a frame from mahogany with a tongue on it to fit the groove. Mitered the corners and glued the frame to the ply. I covered the bottom of the ply with regular walnut veneer; cause that is what I had and of course covered the top with the burl veneer. I used my vac bag and did both sides at the same time. After curing, I trimmed the veneer and sanded the edges. I thought about profiling the edge of the top but didn't want to chance messing up the burl. Sometimes less is best.:gar-La;

Mike

Thanks Mike!

The family friend up in Ohio also had a big vacuum bag that he used. (So large that he did his veneering work in half of his two-car garage.!:eek:) He also swore by using MDF as a substrate!:dontknow:

Again. You really did a swell job on that piece Mike! I just can't get over how nice that burl adds so much character to the piece.

You goin' to submit it for the 2009 calendar??? You know you should...its definitely worthy!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Wayne

Sawdud

New User
Chris Beasley
Very nice table! :thumbs_up I really like the beads on the aprons and legs. Hand beader or router table? One of my future projects is a piano bench made of mahogany in this very style, except for the top. Not ready for that yet!

Chris

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice table! :thumbs_up I really like the beads on the aprons and legs. Hand beader or router table? One of my future projects is a piano bench made of mahogany in this very style, except for the top. Not ready for that yet!

Chris

Chris,

Luckily, I had a router bit that would accomplish what I had in mind. However, if necessary; I had a Windsor Beader waiting in the wings. I pondered the use of the bead on the corner of the leg since the leg was tapered, but I thought it needed something to help define the base since the top was so nice.

MIke

Sawdud

New User
Chris Beasley
Thanks for the reply Mike! Windsor beader is on my short list. Amazing what a simple detail does for a piece. The addition of the bead to the legs and aprons compliments the table nicely, yet doesn't detract from an awesome top. Very nice design choices:eusa_clap!

CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS