prefab or from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
I am considering adding a shed in the back yard to store the lawn tractor and lawn stuff to make more room in the garage for woodworking.

Anyone have thoughts on if I should buy from a big box store (or other suggestions), or is trying to build one myself from plans somewhere a viable/better option?

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Did exactly that when we moved. Needed my garden stuff out of the workshop. Bought from Lowes and they built it from a kit in a day. I prepared the site myself (levelling and concrete blocks). It's 10 x 12 and I can't believe how much room seems to be in there. Spring for a sunroof and the upgraded floor. It's dark inside and you will track mud, water and oil all over the floor. Had it for a year and a half and no problems. You could put it together yourself (preferably with a friend) and save some money. I didn't want the bother.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In 2005 I built a 16x16 shed mostly by myself. I spent $3500 on materials. It was very strong and much better than the home store kits. Don’t know what that would cost now...

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
One other thing you should check with Huntersville zoning. Here in Lincoln county any building with a side over 12' needs a building permit. It's why I chose the size I did.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'd steer clear of the BORG sheds if possible. There are many other roadside groups that make wooden sheds and will deliver them to your site. If you don't put it on a permanent foundation the county won't tax it.

Stick built by you or a contractor is ideal but it's a slow process (by you) or expensive (contractor).

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There's nothing wrong with a building permit if you need to exceed the county measurement guidelines for permits.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I agree there's nothing wrong with pulling a permit and/or building it yourself. I wanted something to store my stuff and do it as simple and quickly as possible. I've had no problems with my Lowes shed and we've had lots of weather in the last year and a half. I've seen horror stories on YouTube but I was here when they assembled it and there were no short cuts or cheap materials used. It's just my own personal experience.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, first things first. Check your HOA's Covenants and Restrictions, see if there is a size limit and if there are restrictions on shed exteriors. Check to see if you need HOA's approval also. Once you clear the HOA hurdles than worry about Huntersville's building restrictions. In other words, check from the grass roots up through the roof before you spend any money - otherwise, it can cost you big time.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Local high school carpentry classes love projects like this. You might pursue that. It will get you a quality shed and help out the carpentry/building trades program.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Twenty years ago I put together a 10 x 10 metal shed from the big box. I used the floor kit and leveled using blocks and put in a cheap plywood floor. It is still standing and useful. I keep the riding lawn mower in it along with a bunch of other stuff (chain saw, storage boxes and a couple of shelf units. Twenty years for the price I paid can't be beat.

George

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It depends on what quality level you want, and how much time and or ability you have to build one from scratch. Kits will give you just enough materials to build a shed, low walls, cheap doors and windows , blah blah blah... youll pay for the "kit" what you can makeup for on your own. a few years ago, I built a really nice 16 x 20 shed, 8 foot walls, 3/4 T&G flooring, 1/2 plywood , 12/12 roof pitch. I ended up with about $3k materials in it. It was also covered with Hardi board everywhere, siding, fascia and soffit etc. You get what you pay for most times, but in this case, sadly you dont.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Avoid the kits, the one's I've dealt with used thin wood, cheap materials. Pay a little more and get one from a shed builder in your area. Many of the properties I go to w/ the BORG kits they are in the worst shape compared to sheds built offsite by shed companies and delivered. For an extra fee some will build on site if you have a spot you can't get one dropped on.

County will tax if they know you have it there, it does not have to be on permanent foundation to be taxed. Counties do go around and audit properties, and when they go around and take pictures for tax reassessments, they will add it if they can see it from the road.

If any one side over 12 feet, permit required. If built offsite and dropped, then that doesn't apply. (YMMV with this)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Counties do go around and audit properties, and when they go around and take pictures for tax reassessments, they will add it if they can see it from the road.

If any one side over 12 feet, permit required. If built offsite and dropped, then that doesn't apply. (YMMV with this)

Ive heard some municipalities are now using drones to look at properties!

dazart

New User
Steve
I like the idea of doing it myself just for the learning experience, but that says that I have NO experience building. I don't know what's involved in creating the foundation, leveling, building... nothing. I am a blank slate. :)

I was wondering if there are people that would 'consult'. Tell me what I need to do next, how to do it, and I would do it.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are determined to do this yourself, start with a google search on site preparation and go from there. You can find a lot of information about the basics and you will have to adapt that info to your specific site before proceeding but that should give you some ideas of what all is involved - just for preparing your site for construction.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're taking a big bite without any basic building or rough carpentry experience!

How big do you envision making this back yard storage shed (10 x 12, 12 x 14, 14 x 16)?

Last edited:

dazart

New User
Steve
Ok - That sounds like there's a lot more to it than I expect. Maybe I can get someone else to prep and level the area where it's going to go?

We were thinking 10x12.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Good call! You can't just sit the 10 x 12 frame on the bare ground. What'll be your foundation? A concrete slab or a raised surface on concrete blocks?

Merry Xmas.

Ok - That sounds like there's a lot more to it than I expect. Maybe I can get someone else to prep and level the area where it's going to go?

We were thinking 10x12.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
If you want to see one bought from Lowes and built on my property PM me. I'm just over in Denver, so a short drive from Huntersville. I'm around through the holidays. Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS