Powermatic 15" Planer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Does anyone have a Powermatic 15" planer, I have a chance to buy one for $700. Is this a good price, and how do you like it? It is an older model using 3 blades instead of a spiral head.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thank you.

Jimmy

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The 15" planers are pretty much generic. Once FWW did and article on Tiawan made machines. One of the items was 15" planers. They showed several brands being assembled in the same factory. Basically they came with either motor on top with fixed tables (Delta), or motor in stand and variable height table (most others.) I bought a Delta last year for $600, and have been well pleased with it. You probably can't go wrong for $700. You can always later add a Byrd head. If it doesn't come with extra knives, check with Gobial Tooling. They list a set of three for $39.99, that fit most imports, including Delta. They don't specifically say Powermatic, but a quick e-mail will get you an answer. Go for it!

rhett

New User
rhett
I have an older powermatic and really like it. If it is green, definately go for it. That is the color of their older machines made is the USA. As long as the motor is strong and the bearings are good, $700 is a fair price.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey Guys , Thanks for the input, I took the plunge and bought the Powermatic 15" planer. The guy originally wanted $750, but I eventually got him down to $600. He planed some mahogany for me and it came out pretty, no snipe at all. He even threw in a new set of freud blades for it.:eusa_danc

Once again, thank you.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS