Posting Policy - Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Rob and several others have suggested that I write "posting policy". This is my first attempt at one. Please review and post your criticisms, suggestions, etc, in this thread.

And to insomniac, thank you for the first 2 sentences.

General Policy

The primary intent of the forums and other places on this website where members can post comments is to provide a welcome, relaxed atmosphere where people can feel comfortable posting questions and suggestions without fear of abuse from other members or the staff. We will not tolerate attitude problems or harsh comments.

Content Review

The primary duties of the moderators and administrators are to provide assistance to members and help maintain the structure of information on the forums so that members and guests can find the information they are looking for. That is why on occasion you will see threads moved, split or merged. This is not to be construed as criticism, but routine housekeeping. The moderator’s and administratorsprimary function is not that of a censor.

However, because moderators and administrators read almost every post on the site, they occasionallycome across posts whose wording, style, or content may be counter to the above General Policy of this site. In these cases, they will attempt to take a proactive action. This can range from a simple Pivate Message asking you to reconsider your wording or adding/changing a smiley placement, to editing your post, or perhaps even making the post "invisible" until its wording can be clarified. In all cases, a PM is sent to the poster advising them of the action taken.

When we take these type of actions, we do not take them lightly. We are not trying to be arbiters of good taste or political correctness. We are simply trying to be proactive in maintaining our goals. Fortunately, such interventions are rarely required. Currently, there are almost 15,000 posts on this board and there have been, at most, 15 such cases.

Prohibited Content

Expressions of bigotry and intolerance will not be accepted under any circumstances. Negative comments or direct attacks based on race, religion, sex or sexual preference, will result in the actions as described above, being taken. It may also result in the person posting these messages to be permanently banned from use of this site. The effort to disguise these types of messages through the use of "code words" or other methods will meet with these same actions being taken against the poster.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
If someone wants to try to rewrite this or even come up with a completely new statement, please do.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that it is well written and easy to understand. The point is made without too much rhetoric. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I think you've done a great job. Just a few suggestions - they do not change your message or for that matter, necessarily improve your message so feel free to ignore them.

We do not tolerate attitude problems or harsh comments.
I'd consider say that we will not instead of do not. Can't really say why, it just feels different.

The primary duties of a moderator or administrator is not that of a censor.
Put this sentence at the end of its same paragraph. It would emphasize what we want rather than what we are not, but leaves it in this paragraph.

Currently, there are almost 15,000 posts on this board. There have been, at most, 15 actions taken as described above.
There are almost 15,000 posts to date on this site iwth fewer than 15 such actions taken.

Expressions of bigotry and intolerance are not acceptable
...... will not be accepted... Again, just the way it feels.

will be met with extreme consequences,....
will result in the actions as described above being taken. It may also result in the perrson posting these messages to be permanently banned from use of this site. The effort to disguise these types of messages through the use of "code words" or other methods will meet with these same actions being taken against the poster.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
cskipper said:
I think you've done a great job. Just a few suggestions - they do not change your message or for that matter, necessarily improve your message so feel free to ignore them.

We do not tolerate attitude problems or harsh comments.
I'd consider say that we will not instead of do not. Can't really say why, it just feels different.

The primary duties of a moderator or administrator is not that of a censor.
Put this sentence at the end of its same paragraph. It would emphasize what we want rather than what we are not, but leaves it in this paragraph.

Currently, there are almost 15,000 posts on this board. There have been, at most, 15 actions taken as described above.
There are almost 15,000 posts to date on this site iwth fewer than 15 such actions taken.

Expressions of bigotry and intolerance are not acceptable
...... will not be accepted... Again, just the way it feels.

will be met with extreme consequences,....
will result in the actions as described above being taken. It may also result in the perrson posting these messages to be permanently banned from use of this site. The effort to disguise these types of messages through the use of "code words" or other methods will meet with these same actions being taken against the poster.

Cathy, all are excellent suggestion and have been incorporated. See how that reads to you now.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, it's content and intent look good to me. I pasted your last edited version below with a couple minor suggestions highlighted in RED.

D L

General Policy

The primary intent of the forums and other places on this website where members can post comments is to provide a welcome, relaxed atmosphere where people can feel comfortable posting questions and suggestions without fear of abuse from other members or the staff. We will not tolerate attitude problems or harsh comments.

Post Content Moderation

The primary duties of the moderators and administrators is to provide assistance to members and help maintain the structure of information on the forums so that members and guests can find the information they are looking for. That is why on occasion you will see threads moved, split or merged. That is not to be construed as criticism, but routine housekeeping. Their primary function is not that of a censor.

However, because moderators and administrators read almost every post on the site, they come across posts whose wording, style, or content may be counter to the above General Policy of this site. In those cases, they will attempt to take a proactive action. This can range from a simple PM asking you to reconsider your wording or smiley placement, to editing your post, or perhaps even making the post "invisible" until its wording can be clarified. In all cases, a PM is sent to the poster advising them of the action.

When we take these kind of actions, we do not take them lightly, we are not trying to be arbiters of good taste or political correctness. We are simply trying to be proactive in maintaining our goals. Fortunately, our actions are rarely required. Currently, there are almost 15,000 posts on this board. There have been, at most, 15 actions taken as described above.

Areas of no tolerance

Expressions of bigotry and intolerance will not be accepted under any circumstances. Negative comments or direct attacks based on race, religion, sex or sexual preference, will result in the actions as described above, being taken. It may also result in the person posting these messages to be permanently banned from use of this site. The effort to disguise these types of messages through the use of "code words" or other methods will meet with these same actions being taken against the poster.

cskipper

Cathy
Some suggestions for minor modifications:
General Policy

Post Content Moderation

The primary duties of the moderators and administrators is are to provide assistance to members and help maintain the structure of information on the forums so that members and guests can find the information they are looking for. That is why, on occasion, you will see that threads have been moved, split or merged. That This is not meant to be construed as criticism, but routine housekeeping. The moderator’s and administrators primary function is not that of a censor.
em of the action.

However, because moderators and administrators read almost every post on the site, they
occasionally come across posts whose who’s (I’m not sure which is correct??) wording, style, or content may be counter to the above General Policy of this site. In those these cases, they will attempt to take a proactive action. This can range from a simple PM asking you to reconsider your wording, adding/changing a smiley placement, to editing your post, or perhaps even making the post "invisible" until its wording can be clarified. In all cases, a PM is sent to the poster advising them of the action taken.

When we take these kind of actions, We do not take these actions lightly and are not trying to be arbiters of good taste or political correctness. We are simply trying to be proactive in maintaining our goals. Fortunately, our actions are rarely required. Currently, there are almost 15,000 posts on this board and there have been, at most 15 such actions, as described above, taken.

Areas of no tolerance

Expressions of bigotry and intolerance will not
be accepted under any circumstances. Negative comments or direct attacks based on race, religion, sex or sexual preferences, will result in the actions as described above, being taken. It may also result in the person posting these messages to be permanently banned from use of this site. The effort to disguise these types of messages through the use of "code words" or other methods will meet with these same actions being taken against the poster.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Good catches Cathy.:icon_thum I saw I missed a couple of the grammer items after I went back and reread my post.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve, something we might want to consider adding as an additional comment either under Post Content Moderation or Areas of no tolerance section is a note to the members about how to report a post they find inappropriate or offensive. Something that explains how to use the button located within each post and how their report will be routed/handled.

Just a thought.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Steve, something we might want to consider adding as an additional comment either under Post Content Moderation or Areas of no tolerance section is a note to the members about how to report a post they find inappropriate or offensive. Something that explains how to use the button located within each post and how their report will be routed/handled.

Just a thought.

D L

Actually, I don't want to encourage the use of that button, until I can make it work in a better way.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I would really like hear, now, about the intent of this message. I am sure there are some of you who disagree with the intent or the implied process. Please speak up. Is there a compromise between the various positions that I'm sure are out there?

Insom, you have been my unofficial conscience since I started this site and I really would like to hear from you now that something is written down.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Actually, I don't want to encourage the use of that button, until I can make it work in a better way.

OK, I understand. When I was looking at it last night I clicked on it to see what it would do. After looking at the dialog box it opened up it got me to wondering where the "report" goes once it is submitted. I thought it might be worth mentioning in this policy.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
I would really like hear, now, about the intent of this message. I am sure there are some of you who disagree with the intent or the implied process. Please speak up. Is there a compromise between the various positions that I'm sure are out there?

Insom, you have been my unofficial conscience since I started this site and I really would like to hear from you now that something is written down.

Steve, my understanding of the intent of this Policy is to inform new members and remind current members about the philosophy behind some of the reasons this site was created and to reinforce the harmonious atmosphere we strive to maintain on this site.

As for the intent of how to use this Policy, I can see it being used in several different ways. I see it being added as "Read This" link on the home page as well as maybe being a link embedded in the initial PM sent to a new member to welcome them to the site. I also see this Policy being posted as a sticky under either the "Webmaster Announcements" or "Member Announcements" forums with an occasional (monthly?) bump from time to time. If some act of moderation is performed then I can see a link to this Policy being added to any post that has been edited or moved to moderation based on violations of the items outlined in the "Areas of No Tolerance" portion of the Policy. Lastly, I can see a link to this Policy being added to any PM sent to the member notifying them of their inappropriate post.

I have no issues with the intent or implied process as outlined in this Policy.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
I agree that it should be in the initial information provided to new members and as a sticky in the Member Announcements or Webmaster Announcements section. In addition, I think that referencing this whole thing or providing a link to the whole thing in a pm is sufficient. If it is sent in its entirety in a PM the specific problem with a post will be lost in a sea of information. I would avoid referencing it as "an area of no tolerance" unless someone is repeatedly violating the policy. I think referencing it as Guidelines for Posting Messages on this Website or some such. The "Post Content Moderation" subtitle make me think of moderation after something is posted (and feels very Big Brother) versus guidelines we want followed when initially writing a post.

Does that make sense?

M

McRabbet

Overall, I think the Policy statement is excellent with the suggested changes that several on the team have made. I do think the paragraph titles are a little misleading or awkward --I'd suggest simplifying Post Content Moderation to Content Review and Areas of No Tolerence to Prohibited Content.

Rob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
McRabbet said:
Overall, I think the Policy statement is excellent with the suggested changes that several on the team have made. I do think the paragraph titles are a little misleading or awkward --I'd suggest simplifying Post Content Moderation to Content Review and Areas of No Tolerence to Prohibited Content.

Rob
Agreed and changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS