Posting Pictures as attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Posting Pictures as attachments is generally a bad idea for the site and also for you. So, that ability is going to be severly restricted in the near future. I am waiting for the next major version of Photopost which is supposedly going to make uploading easier. I am also waiting for our new site programmers to get up to speed becuase I want to add some mods that we will write to even make the whole easier.

To get a better idea of why I am going to do this, I have added the posts that were in a discussion that took place in the Moderator's forum.

Will we totally disable to ability to use the attachment method? NO! But will post guidlines later as to what pictures and their intended usage will be allowed and what is not. At that point, any post that has an attachment will be placed in "Moderation" and a staff member will have to approve the post.

Anyway, why am I announcing this now instead of closer to the time when we actually do this? Becuase, if you know it is coming, then perhaps, you'll start learning to use the gallery for these purposes now.

Here's the discussion. And please feel free to disagree, make suggestions, etc.

I am giving some strong consideration to either banning most pictures as attachments or finding some other way to discourage their use. In fact I'm thinking of banning almost all attachments.

Thoughts, pros & cons, discussion?

One argument against attachments, and I'll admit it's a selfish one, I can't see any attachments here at work. (dang firewall) Personally, I much prefer to insert the BBLink code inside the post from the gallery. But, I am assuming that all pictures here are from our gallery, which I know full well, they are not.

What causes this train of thought to gather steam?

Can you explain in more detail what you are referring to? Does this mean hotlinking a picture from another site, inserting a hotlink from a picture in the gallery, or is there another option?

I am interested in what you are thinking. One thing that I've always been suprised about is that you don't seem to care how big of a picture that I upload. :eusa_whis I would expect that some of us are abusing the gallery a bit with some big pix...you must not be concerned about disk space?

cheers,
Chris

I much prefer the BB code

I don't like attachments either but don't know what harm they do. I have heard they can be dangerous.

I think what Steve is getting at is that attachments are going to take up a lot more space than the gallery, but I'm not certain about that.

There may be some compression algorithm that the Gallery has that a regular thread does not. Am I close?

Steve can you elaborate?

A clip from the FAQs:

If you want to include a picture in your post, you have two basic methods to do this: Attachment method and Insert Image method

Attachment method - use this method when you have a picture on your local computer (ie, not published on the net somewhere). You just "attach" an image to your post, just like you would attach a file or image to an e-mail message. This method has the advantage of simplicity, speed, and familiarity (if you're used to forums that use this method, like Saw Mill Creek). The main disadvantage is that the picture shows up in a box down at the bottom of the page -- you have no control over where the picture is placed within your post. Well, actually you do have some control, but you have to take an extra step to do this (see below). Most importantly, the picture does not go into your gallery, so it doesn't count towards your total post count, and you can lose track of where it's located if you need to refer to it later.

Insert Image method - use this method when you want to show a picture that is hosted on a web site somewhere on the net (like your own web site, or your photo gallery here on this web site). This is a bit more involved, but more versatile. This is the preferred method if you want to include more than one picture in your post, or if you want your picture to show up somewhere in the middle of the post instead of down at the bottom. This method is really simple once you get used to it, and it's definitely worth learning.
The next post will address the Attachments method, then I will followup with a post on the Insert Image method, along with some more "advanced" tips & tricks... stay tuned.

I think most folks see the attachment method first and find it easier. However, as Monty notes in the FAQ: "inserting is more involved, but more versatile." Banning attachments would create a bit of grumbling, but eventually members would learn how to insert . . . I think. :eusa_thin

I lack the geek to speak regarding compression alogrithm of text. However, I see many pros for inserting and linking: reuse, resizing, rapid access, and removing. Gallery photos are easy to access and delete (something I need to do :BangHead:), whereas no one is likely to return to an old thread and remove an attachment.

If banning attachments will improve the site, go for it. I would do my best to assist those who need help adjusting to the change.

Roger

An overall ban sounds draconian... but I do see the technical benefit. Maybe we should move toward putting things in the gallery... it certainly is easier to find pics there (as opposed to trying to locate the email that contained a pic).

Does anyone know whether the average pic / photo / graphic is meant to be kept on the site long term? If it is, the gallery is the place for it. If not... is there a way to do auto delete from the gallery afer a period of time? I know we could ask members to post pics to the gallery and do some housekeeping on a regular basis... but the housekeeping just won't get done.

... just my two denarius worth...

Ray

Not a space issue at all. The Gallery has 6 GB space and the attachmnets only .5GB.

When the site was started, there were no picture attachments. I finally relented and allowed them against Monty's advice.

I'll try and post more about this tomorrow. I wrote a long post twice explaining the issues as I see them, but lost it twice and just don't have the heart to rewrite it again tonight.:BangHead: Though I will try and find the original threads that discussed this.

Here are some of the threads from the first 3 or 4 months

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251&highlight=attachments
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255&highlight=attachments
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=307&highlight=attachments

FYI, I was totally wrong about the storage and bandwidth issues and also the postioning of attachments within a post

Hehehe - I forgot about all that... pretty funny now. I think attachments probably do have a place from time to time, but that's the exception rather than the rule. For example, when posting tutorials I always used attachments for the screenshots because I had no reason to keep those pics around in my album.

I'm also curious why this is an issue now...

It is sort of hard for me to explain. Part of it is just pure frustration on my part and part of it is looking at the future.

First, the frustration parts are the following:
  • Misuse of the intent of attachments ( not really important by itself, just frustrating)
  • Excellent pictures of excellent work are in the threads and not in the galleries, where they would enhance the value and the interest in the site.
  • Good photos will be lost when I start to age prune the threads, which will soon have to start.
  • No way to find the attachments photos without a lot of work.
The future:

This site is growing and now contains a lot of very good information. But information is useless, if you can't find it.:eyeslam: We need ways to organize and preserve some of this information. I am planning some more enhancements to help us do that. But the one place that we have the software already(though not properly structured yet), the Galleries, is not being used as fully as it should be, and the newer members are using attachments to post pictures more and more often.:BangHead: Or in other words a trend is starting, that I really don't like.

It just dawned on me that this thread wasn't in the public realm. It should be. Maybe if more folks knew more about attachments and the advantages to placing their pictures in the gallery, they might use the attachment feature less. I was just replying to a thread, and went to look back at the posted picture to make sure I did say something stupid, and it was an attachment and not viewable while replying, like an embedded image :BangHead: :BangHead: .
I think attachments have their place and do serve a good function, but they are kinda like a Rotozip, mostly worthless except for cutting a hole in drywall :-D

Dave:)

I guess I really would like to come up with a carrot and stick approach. Some changes that makes it easier to post from the galleries and less easy to use the attachments

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well I can see that this warning had almost no effect. So you'all will be up the creek without a paddle if you don't start learning now:slap::slap::BangHead::BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
6ce4650d.gif

Seriously folks it's really easy, and takes no longer than resizing a picture and creating an attachment.
I just did it in about 1 minute with the above picture :-D
Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Here's my issue, and it's probably just a lack of understanding on my part. I am cool with putting things into the gallery first and then using the BB code to get them into a post. HOWEVER, the mechanics of doing this are eluding me. I need some step by step help. Do you begin to create your post first, or copy the pic to the clipboard first? I seem to lose my message if I try to create the post first, and I'm back and forth til I finally luck out. All help appreciated. Thanx

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Here's my issue, and it's probably just a lack of understanding on my part. I am cool with putting things into the gallery first and then using the BB code to get them into a post. HOWEVER, the mechanics of doing this are eluding me. I need some step by step help. Do you begin to create your post first, or copy the pic to the clipboard first? I seem to lose my message if I try to create the post first, and I'm back and forth til I finally luck out. All help appreciated. Thanx

I can try and help you but I think it would be easier to do in like a chat or something

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Reggie open the site in two windows on your computer. Have on open to your gallery and the other open to the post your trying to make. Just toggle back and forth between them. That is how I do it, I am not the most computer literate person, but it works great for me. I am sure there is a more technical method, but I like to keep it simple (I have no choice, I can't do more complicated :5dunce:)
HTH, Dave:)

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Reggie open the site in two windows on your computer. Have on open to your gallery and the other open to the post your trying to make. Just toggle back and forth between them. That is how I do it, I am not the most computer literate person, but it works great for me. I am sure there is a more technical method, but I like to keep it simple (I have no choice, I can't do more complicated :5dunce:)
HTH, Dave:)

I think he got it now. I helped him in chat

Touchwood

New User
Don
I dunno..but I'm a neophyte...just started doing this a few weeks ago, so don't know the history or control climate.

I export my attachment pictures from Picasa to a folder on the desktop. I don't have my own website and I don't know how to create some other substitute website...not sure I want to. Picasa automatically limits that export to 800 KB. On average I think the attachments I've posted were around 150B.

Is this really a problem??? I'm going to take the same pics and put them in an album in the gallery when I have time. They won't vanish..I still have them. Some folks asked to see the work now, so that's what I did.

Slap me upside the head if I'm stupid here.

Don

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I guess I will learn how to do it. My question is "Why are some pictures there and others you have to click on a link to view them?" I'm sorry, but I'm lazy. Usually the posts where you have to click on a link to see the pictures, I don't mess with.

Amy

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I dunno..but I'm a neophyte...just started doing this a few weeks ago, so don't know the history or control climate.

I export my attachment pictures from Picasa to a folder on the desktop. I don't have my own website and I don't know how to create some other substitute website...not sure I want to. Picasa automatically limits that export to 800 KB. On average I think the attachments I've posted were around 150B.

Is this really a problem??? I'm going to take the same pics and put them in an album in the gallery when I have time. They won't vanish..I still have them. Some folks asked to see the work now, so that's what I did.

Slap me upside the head if I'm stupid here.

Don

Don could you point me to some of your pcitures on Picassa. It should not be necessary for you to export your pictures then bring them over to this site.

J

jeff...

Attaching pics is MUCH easier than inserting BB code from a photo in your photo gallery.

But it's not too bad from other sites just wrap with

bottle_can.jpg

flatteningabench.jpg

But it don't work the same from internal to the site (see above)

I admit it I'm lazy, ok you can beat me now...

Last edited by a moderator:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
The part about "opening in two windows" was what I was missing I guess. But, I guess I'm spoiled by the ease of "Insert" MS Word. One click, you're done.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don could you point me to some of your pcitures on Picassa. It should not be necessary for you to export your pictures then bring them over to this site.

Be glad to Steve...how do I point you to a picture on my computer?

Are you saying that I could export from Picasa directly to an album on the site?

That would be great, but how do I add titles, comments etc.?

Don :5dunce:

Touchwood

New User
Don
Actually what I'm saying is that you don't need export a picture to your Gallery here, to display in a post. Our Galleries here are those people who want a place to keep their pictures. Some of you have other places where you keep your pictures. Which is fine. So all you have to do is click on the little yellow Mountain square. It will then open a box for you to insert the URL of the picture. when you have done that. the picture will show in the post. For example:

main.php

This picture is on another website, where I keep my family Photos.
This, BTW, is Jet my grandson.

OK Steve, I see where you're going here.

I really don't like Picasa that much because it grabs every picture in my computer and there's a lot of duplication...which I can't seem to get rid.

Actually I really want to create several Albums on the web-site..like one for Shaker furniture, one for Special Projects, one for Rockers..maybe one showing a step by step on how I build my rockers.

Now if you wanted to take pictures fromm the URL you sent me and put them into an album in the NCWoodworker Gallery, how would you do it. ? Can you do the compression on your URL..can you put them all in a folder and transfer the folder.?? That would be neat. Do you add captions, titles etc after you create the album?

So many questions, so little time. I'll be back this afternoon.

Don

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
OK Steve, I see where you're going here.

I really don't like Picasa that much because it grabs every picture in my computer and there's a lot of duplication...which I can't seem to get rid.

Actually I really want to create several Albums on the web-site..like one for Shaker furniture, one for Special Projects, one for Rockers..maybe one showing a step by step on how I build my rockers.

Now if you wanted to take pictures fromm the URL you sent me and put them into an album in the NCWoodworker Gallery, how would you do it. ? Can you do the compression on your URL..can you put them all in a folder and transfer the folder.?? That would be neat. Do you add captions, titles etc after you create the album?

So many questions, so little time. I'll be back this afternoon.

Don

Actually, that wasn't what I intended. The URL showed up instead of the picture. vBulletin doesn't like the type of URL that was generated by the other website. So my example didn't work:BangHead:Let me find another

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Actually, that wasn't what I intended. The URL showed up instead of the picture. vBulletin doesn't like the type of URL that was generated by the other website. So my example didn't work:BangHead:Let me find another

Ok, I changed the setting in vB to allow those type URLs so what you should see below is the actual image even though it is on another website.

main.php

Btw, that's my grandson Jet:eusa_danc

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now as far as importing pictures from another site directly. When you see the Picture upload form, pick the album, category etc. but don't enter the name(s) Now scroll down and will see a section labeled Extra Options. The first one say download from a URL. Check that and then enter the URL where the pictures are located

Touchwood

New User
Don

Steve..first of all I had typed out a long winded question to you, left to look at another window, came back and it's gone!!! Rats.

I created an album called Shaker Furniture under tuchwud. I successfully downloaded 10 JPEGS to the album window, saw all the thumbnails sitting there, submitted them to the album and they're gone...can't even get back to the thumbnail page.

Should I have set up something in Member Galleries if I want others to see my pics??

You sent me your URL for your own photos, and I can't find that message anywhere now.

Can you find those 10 pictures??

What's wrong with me..everyone else seems to do it no sweat.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Steve..one more thing

I tried to place an ad in the "Place an ad" section.

I wanted to post the same pictures of the sander I used on the Performax thread.

The section let me browse and pick up their location on my desktop...but I couldn't see anywhere a button to download them.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Steve,

I see the album...tuchwud ,Shaker Furniture and it says there are 13 pictures in my queue, but it looks like it wants me to go through the whole browse, add titles, comments thing again.

This can't be right.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors