Possible next project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that I have decided what my next project will be. I'll make it and then figure out if I need to bolt it to the floor to spare my daughter.
Here's my inspiration:
LFBTG610_H.JPG

It's approx. 30" tall, 48" wide & 16" deep. I am thinking 1 1/2" square legs, 3/4" x 1 1/2" stretchers, 4 1/2" apron with a 3" drawer, and 3/4" top. How do those dimensions sound to y'all. And should I do a lamination for the legs or go find some 8/4 stock. I will be doing this out of QSWO with ebonized Walnut accents. I am excited about this one, I am gonna take it all the way, M&T joints, square dowels the works. I could probably make something that look just like it with biscuits and faux plugs, but I want to challenge myself.
Be prepared for lots of questions :-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

Oakwood

New User
John
Dave,

Great project, breadboard top, M&Ts this is a great one to make by hand. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

John

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, That looks like it will be a great project with plenty of new challenges for you. I am sure you will make light work of all of it though. As for your dimensions, they all sound good to me with the exception of the thickness of the stretchers. I think I would go maybe a little thicker than 3/4 just to give the appearance and little more heft.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L, I was wondering the same thing. I'll see if I can mill my rough stock to 7/8" thick instead and bump it up to 2 1/4" tall. Thanks that is the advice I am looking for.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
"I like that. what are MT joints?"

Mortise-Tenon joints I believe is what they're talking about.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
M&T jointery is Mortise and Tenon jointery.

156jointbig.jpg

It is probbably the best wood joining techinque and the most traditional.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This would be totally awesome DaveO.:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc I particularly like the stretchers! I assume that you will have to cut those bad boys on a bandsaw?

I will honestly enjoy seeing some progress pictures; if you get a chance!

(I wouldn't worry about the anchoring problem just yet!!!!)

I wish you all the luck in the world! With your talent, I am sure that you will be proud of the results and make all of us newbies truly envious!!!!

Good Luck,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Canuk said:
I will honestly enjoy seeing some progress pictures; if you get a chance!
I wish you all the luck in the world! With your talent, I am sure that you will be proud of the results and make all of us newbies truly envious!!!!

Good Luck,

Wayne

A chance to post something on this site...not me :lol: :lol: :lol: You bet I post some WIP pics. Thanks for your vote of confidence, I'll score for the :newbie: team..hopefully.

Monty

New User
Monty
That's going to be a great project! I know you'll enjoy it, and we'll all enjoy doing a little vicarious woodworking via your WIP pics!!! :mrgreen:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Newbie Team Animation.... Got to Love It!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

DaveO You're so ceative!!!!! Beyond Words!!!

(So, I assume that that old K'nee is feeelin' a lot better??)

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Canuk said:
(So, I assume that that old K'nee is feeelin' a lot better??)

Wayne

Enough that I am hoping to get back into the shop this weekend. Y'all won't have to put up with me monitoring this site like a vulture, waiting for an interesting discussion anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Cool Dave. You going to try to have quartersawn show on all 4 sides of the legs? If you do, you could just glue up 4/4 and make you some veneer to make it look quartersawn on all four sides. I believe I saw David Marks do that on Woodworks. If you are not, I think I would get some thick stock. No one else may see the glue line, but for me, it always stands out and I always look at it thinking "why did I do that?"

Good to hear on the knee. Don't take it too hard in the shop. Concrete slabs are not our friends.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Sounds like a great project. Keep your pictorial journal up to date. I can't wait to follow this project.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Interesting looking design and I like the way the stretcher matches the apron bottoms.

The QS oak and walnut are gonna look great together!

I second the WIP pics suggestion! :)

Chuck

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Dave, are the breadboards going to be held on with an ebonized spline? hard to tell from the pics if that's the case. Also, are the ebonized pins going to be proud of the wood, or flush? I think it's a totally sweet project. The stretcher shape really takes it out of the realm of "common". Definitely a nice inspiration piece. Also, have you given any though to finishing? Are you going to leave the wood natural or dye/stain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS