The Woodworking Store
Capital Blvd
Raleigh, NC

Mike

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Andy,

You can find small poplar (1/2", 3/4"), 3' and 4' at Lowes locations in Cary and Apex. 3/4" 8' as well. I think they are priced a little high though.:roll: (Especially the 1/2" stuff!:-x ) Home Depot in Apex and Cary Crossroads also have it. Look at the racks near the solid oak in both stores.

(I am looking forward to when I can afford a jointer and portable planer so that I can dress my own stock!)

Regards,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Arcrist said:
Does anyone know a good source for small 3-5 feet poplar boards? I found them only at 2 home depots. The ones in apex and durham.

Thanks,
Andy
www.dreadcraft.com

Also check out the wood suppliers list on the left of the home page. I would suggest you look into Capital city Lumber, and Raleigh Hardwood Store. You would do a lot better if you could get rough or slightly surfaced wood and finish surfacing it yourself. If you don't have the equipment some places will do it for a nominal fee, or send me a PM and I can help you out at my shop.
Dave:)

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Thanks guys, I went to the apex lowes store but maybe I didnt look in the right place. i will go back tommorow, and ill check out raleigh too.

I always get the highly sanded stuff, and 1/2" and 1/4" for the boxes I make. I get them for about $2.50 to $3.50 per 4"x3ft but home depot is running out fast lately, and a lot of the boards are bent. Im pretty picky because I dont have a planer for further processing.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You still may want to check out one of the hardwood stores. They will surface it for you and you will still probably come out ahead. My .02.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Well every box I make is different, with respect to lenght and width of the sides and top. So I might be better off getting smaller quantities of short length poplar, as opposed to unfinished large pieces that Ill probably not get around to using all of it, assuming hardware shops only finish wood at a specific minimum length...

It that whole paragraph makes no sense, pardon me, ive been breathing in lacquer for a few hours and im pretty tired. :(

on that note rust-o-leum black lacquer smells nausiating. I can taste it minutes after ive been inside. Yuck.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I'm pretty close to you in Willow Springs, if you need the use of a planer or jointer shoot me a message, I have a small planer, and an ok jointer.

clowman

Clay Lowman
A jointer makes the edges of a piece of wood perpendicular to the face, flat and smooth.

My planer will take a board up to 12" wide. I'd say about a foot long? If you get much shorter, you could have what some consider "safety issues". But I think I've planed shorter pieces before.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A jointer make one face flat and square to one edge. Then you can run the flat reference face through a surface planer to make both faces parallel. Then rip to width on a table saw. Most surface planers won't handle a piece that is less than 10" in length, but you would want to pass a little longer piece through them in case you get a little snipe on the trailing end.
Dave:)

Dang Clay you type faster than I do:BangHead:

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Ok well Ill check into getting a larger quantity of boards this weekend and Ill let you know if i need your services. Thanks!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
a couple weeks ago, Woodcraft in Raleigh had a pallet or two of poplar shorts in the front of the store. all right in your length range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS