Poplar for a workbench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Howdy!

i would like to know everyone's thoughts on using poplar for a "roubo style" work bench. I have access to all the poplar I need - free. I'm thinking if building a shorter bench - roughly 48" long and 24" wide.

Short term will be to use this bench until some point in the future when I'll build a more traditional size out of oak. My family homestead in NE Tennessee has hundreds of oaks to choose from, but I don't want to use my drafting table for a bench for the next 10 years waiting on a slab to dry, and my wallet says free poplar is better that SYP.

Your thoughts? The price can't be beat!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good plan (watching the wallet!) I am just worried that the poplar is too soft...

My suggestion would be to laminate the top in some way since poplar is SO soft. Dropping a tool on it will leave a dent...

An alternate plan;
I had a painted bench for the longest time (the boards I used were painted and I didn't want to ruin the planer blades so I got a piece of Masonite and laid it on the bench...

It worked until I got around to making the top right!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Good plan (watching the wallet!) I am just worried that the poplar is too soft...

My suggestion would be to laminate the top in some way since poplar is SO soft. Dropping a tool on it will leave a dent...

An alternate plan;
I had a painted bench for the longest time (the boards I used were painted and I didn't want to ruin the planer blades so I got a piece of Masonite and laid it on the bench...

It worked until I got around to making the top right!

+1 on using ¼" masonite or hardboard overlay. Build up your side skirting by ¼" so it is flush with the hardboard. A few flush flathead screws around the perimeter of the hardboard will hold it in place (use brass in case you accidentally hit one with a tool). If/as the hardboard is damaged, you can pull it off and replace it.

George

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I had a good dry slab of 1/4 sawn poplar 24 inches wide and 4 inches thick I would already have a bench built out of it.

If you plan to build a bigger one later this will be a good test piece for you. Beat it unmercifully and see if it will hold up.

Than you will know if it's worth the wait to go for the oak.

johnsinva

New User
John
Use the poplar. If you drop a workpiece part onto the bench the bench will take the ding, not the workpiece. Can't say the same for a bench made of oak or hard maple.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Schwarz suggests making a bench out of whatever is handy. Even pine. I would think Poplar would make a perfectly acceptable bench. And be easy to work with.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If I had a good dry slab of 1/4 sawn poplar 24 inches wide and 4 inches thick I would already have a bench built out of it.

If you plan to build a bigger one later this will be a good test piece for you. Beat it unmercifully and see if it will hold up.

Than you will know if it's worth the wait to go for the oak.

My thinking is along the same lines as Mike. Build it out of whatever you have available, and see how it does. If it doesn't hold up, or you don't like it after a few years, you can always build another one. I don't know how many benches I've built over the years. My current, and hopefully last, one just turned 20 last year. With each version I improved both the quality of materials and functionality.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alright Stephen - everyone says "Go!"

So I will say what everyone is thinking - Get going! (and post the pictures) :gar-La;

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think Poplar will work fine, especially for the structure. It isn't as strong, or heavy, as more traditional woods but workbenches often have thicker parts than they really need so poplar would work fine. A poplar top will be more easily dented than beech or hard maple. But it won't affect the function. My workbench ends up doing a little bit of everything and it has a replaceable 1/4 top, a hardwood skirt, and a torsion box structure. My next one is likely to be built the same except I plan to incorporate a storage shelf under the top ala Ron Paulk.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I think free poplar is far better than free oak even. I believe a bench should sufficiently strong to support whatever you place on it and any hardwood (poplar included) is definitely strong enough. I also think having the wood softer than your projects is a good idea as well. Since the poplar is softer, it will absorb shock from mallet blows etc far better than oak or other harder woods by deadening it. Just my $.02

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

it's a bench not an altar. use it and abuse it. saw on it, plane it, chisel into it, drill holes, pound it w/ a mallet, spill finishes all over it, drip glue, etc. that's what it's for! And fwiw, poplar is a lot easier to plane flat than oak.

eyekode

New User
Salem
it's a bench not an altar. use it and abuse it. saw on it, plane it, chisel into it, drill holes, pound it w/ a mallet, spill finishes all over it, drip glue, etc. that's what it's for! And fwiw, poplar is a lot easier to plane flat than oak.

Ick!! Saw/chisel into your bench?? Only by accident! I am not saying it is an alter but safe work requires care. And it doesn't require much care to avoid driving edges into your bench on a regular basis. Otherwise your nice flat bench will require resurfacing more often.

That said I agree poplar has benefits over oak. One that hasn't been mentioned is it is lighter colored. The only regret I have with my bench is using low quality oak. What an amazing pain to flatten!!!

Salem

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

agreed! it's a WORK bench. :icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Leave a recess on the top deep enough for two pieces of 1/4" Hardboard and drop that in there for your top. When one gets beat up, just replace it with the one underneath. That's how my bench is made and it's served me well! :icon_thum

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Use the materials you have for your bench, poplar will make a fine bench and will last just as long as any other. Good luck and show some pics when your done
regards, Richard

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'll add my endorsement for a bench from free poplar. Build it, use it, enjoy it. Just be sure that the poplar is dry though...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
regardless of what we all say
when it comes to the end of the day
it's still your name on the mailbox........
Burma Shave....... :D

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Thank you all for the feedback! The poplar will be kiln dried and S4S. Going to get the wood soon and get started with the bench.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
When you run out of uses for this FREE poplar, just let me know. I've got ideas for a poplar workbench. Free is my favorite species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS