Pondering......Small tool storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey all,

Once again, I'm back in my pondering mood after reading about ScottM making chisel holders (nice job Scott:icon_thum). Most of aren't as organized as "Alan in Little Washington" and if you have ever had the privelege of visiting his shop you would know what I mean. We all have our own method of organization that seems to work for us, even if others think differently.

I keep all my hand tools in Craftsman mechanic rolling chests (3 of them), all of my hand held power tools on open shelves, all of my odd stuff (propane set ups, plumbing tools, electrical tools, etc.) in old metal filing cabinet, and alot of the rest is kept on pegboards or under workbenches. I've always dreamed of building a workbench with a cabinet full of drawers, and a seperate tool chest, to hold all of my good hand tools such as planes, chisels, measuring and marking tools, etc., but it never seems to happen. Once my shop got clean and organized enough to find everything, I had projects to build for the house and not the shop. I seem to have alot of tools, and for that I am thankful, but I wish that I had built something to hold the tools before acquiring them:BangHead:. But, as always with me, hindsight seems to be 20/20.:gar-La;

Where do most of you store your tools now, and what (in your wildest dreams) would be the perfect set up for you to store them if you could ?

I seem to have some time on my hand, and in response to the question "Does NCWW seem to be slowing down ?" these postings are mine to keep the sight more active. Hopefully I'm not boring a whole bunch of you :slap:.

Godspeed to all.

cskipper

Cathy
My ideal solution is to have someone follow behind me and put my tools back where they belong (which I would have specified)! I'm working in the spare bedroom so my clutter stays in an active status. Heaven forbid I am working on two things - the ironing board can only hold so much - lol! :eek:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Good to see you back for awhile!!

I built a Norm style miter bench with 21 drawers in it. I also have a workbench with another 6 drawers. This has proven sufficient for my needs as far as tools go. I also have 26' of wall cabinets for all the rest of the "stuff". I am organized to a certain extent but then my shop is modest in size (16x24) and still requires more attention. I consider my progress ok for being in this shop for 3 years.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Mostly I'm just a slob..................... You're in good company Jimmy!:gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I like to have my tools organized, although you can't always tell it from looking at my shop. I'm gradually getting there by working on different areas. If you want to take a look there are a bunch of pics of my shop here. I think my latest organization projects come up first. Hand tool storage and clamp storage. I just finished a lathe tool cabinet and have started a drill bit cabinet.

After that I have to build an entertainment center for the house before I can work on any more shop projects. LOML has spoken! :argue:

Bill

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jimmy, I wish I could be of more help, but you don't want to see how I store all of my tools. :eusa_hand :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have an old dresser (cheap particle board) that temporarily holds all my hand tools. It's messy, but it'll work until I can build a nice clamshell cabinet for the chisels, planes, rasps etc. And I'm building some kitchen-style cabinets as well with drawers to store tape measures, scissors, calipers etc. I expect to be done in 2016 :) I think shop organization is a marathon. It takes a LONG time to get everything organized, and woodworking projects get in the way of shop projects!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I like to have my tools organized, although you can't always tell it from looking at my shop. I'm gradually getting there by working on different areas. If you want to take a look there are a bunch of pics of my shop here. I think my latest organization projects come up first. Hand tool storage and clamp storage. I just finished a lathe tool cabinet and have started a drill bit cabinet.

After that I have to build an entertainment center for the house before I can work on any more shop projects. LOML has spoken! :argue:

Bill

Hey Bill,

Nice job on the shop organization. I almost had my clamp rack looking like that, but a great deal came up on 20 pipe clamps of different sizes and as my story goes....... I had to make it fit. :gar-La;

So far it looks like I may be in the middle of the pack, with half worse off:nah: and half better off than me.

As long as I stay away from the MWTCA meeting this week I may be able to hold on to the slight resmblance of organization that I have:rotflm:.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jimmy, thanks for the compliment. Working out my new shop storage is harder then building the building itself. LOL For bases I am currently planning to use a couple old dressers (which I have), a rolling tool box and some plain plywood/and two by benches.

For my walls I would like to build a mix of independent peg board units, shelf units, and cabinets all roughly the same size and hung on french cleats. That way I can rearrange as needed. Now all I need to do is find time to do it.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I have 2 Craftsman base type steel tool cabinets purchase via RAL CL . The average cost on these were about $30 each.

In addition to a regular tool box that houses more traditional tools, wrenches, etc......

I modified these cabs with better wheels and installed Laminated tops to serve as small benches.

Faster and cheaper than trying to make with wood.

Good luck on your quest!

M

Craftsman_TB1.JPG

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy, thanks for the compliment. Working out my new shop storage is harder then building the building itself. LOL For bases I am currently planning to use a couple old dressers (which I have), a rolling tool box and some plain plywood/and two by benches.

For my walls I would like to build a mix of independent peg board units, shelf units, and cabinets all roughly the same size and hung on french cleats. That way I can rearrange as needed. Now all I need to do is find time to do it.

When I moved into my shop it was full of stuff that the movers dropped into there. It took a while to sort through and organize it and I wish I had taken more time with it. Add to that the fact that I moved into a shop that was twice the size I had, and the original organization was set up for much less stuff and much smaller machinery that I have now. I'm now happy with a 15" planer, 8" jointer, cabinet saw, etc., and I don't plan on buying much more woodworking equipment, so hopefully I can try working on the final plan for the woodworking side of the shop.

I think upper cabinets on french cleats are definitely the way to go for versatility, but I have a pole barn building and it's not an option. I know that you are have also moved into a larger space, and I'm glad that you are planning for the future.

Good luck with the organization Scott, I think that you are doing great so far.:icon_thum

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Think lazy, cheap, convenient, and efficient.

I've replaced my pegboard years ago with other things. A piece of 1/2" sheathing plywood and large finish nails allow me to customize my area to a very compact storage board.

Below are some shots, the first two represent layers, finish nails for hanging things, a 2x4 drilled with various holes for stick-like tools, and spacers in the very back for hand chisels and the like.

storage1.jpg

storage2.jpg

Other storage variations for everyone's rubbernecking entertainment.

planestorage.jpg

senco.jpg

chuck1.jpg

crack3.jpg

crack2.jpg

crack5.jpg

clamp1.jpg

storage3.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Think lazy, cheap, convenient, and efficient.

I've replaced my pegboard years ago with other things. A piece of 1/2" sheathing plywood and large finish nails allow me to customize my area to a very compact storage board.

Below are some shots, the first two represent layers, finish nails for hanging things, a 2x4 drilled with various holes for stick-like tools, and spacers in the very back for hand chisels and the like.

What wonderful ideas you have Bob. I still like pegboard for alot of things (I got a big box of pegboard hardware free years ago), but I might have to steal your plane storage, and will definitely steal your nailer storage idea if you don't mind. (you should definitely try sending the nailer storage idea into one of the magazines, i'm syre it will get published).

Thanks,

Glennbear

Glenn
As Jimmy says, you have some great ideas there Bob. :icon_thum I particularly like the bar clamp idea, I have quite a few similar heavy and lengthy clamps those who do not own them cannot appreciate their worth. They have the strength to join a battleship but are quite heavy and difficult to store.:wsmile:
crack2.jpg

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Pegboard is great but I got tired of picking up the hooks. I even bought a bunch of the "Talon" brand that screwed in but I have gotten rid of all but a small section of pegboard. My resolution for 2011 is to finish my shop and If I do I will post pictures:wink_smil

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thanks for the kind words.

For 20 years my shop area was less than 300 sq.ft.. I HAD to get creative on storage or drown.

Here's a close-up of another clamp rack on another section of wall. If I were doing it over again, I would offset the clamp screw slot so the clamps wouldn't fit in at an angle.

storage4.jpg

While drifting the thread, here's a lazy man's clamp table substitute for those wonderful clamps. Pipe clamps can use a long slotted 2x4, but these clamps require something a little different.

clamp2.jpg

clamp1.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Since Jimmy mentioned my shop in his initial post, I thought I would see what others had to offer, before I burst the bubble of those who haven't seen my shop up close.

Those who have visited may recall , I never opened a drawer. It may look good in photos, and there may be a lot of storage, but my shop is FAR from being "organized" and convenient. My tools just lay loosely, out of sight, in drawers. Since there are quite a few drawers, I often need to stop and think, "now where did put that blankety-blank tool?"

The most convenient feature is my open-front tool cubbies with adjoining small drawers that hold tool-specific attachments, parts, wrenches, supplies, etc. I like it now just as much as when I built a couple of years ago. My editor liked it too and wanted me to do an article about it but for some reason it never happened.

Another feature of my shop I often, and unfortunately take full advantage of because of my disorganized method of work, is the large amount of horizontal surfaces - a long back bench, large TS extension and outfeed tables, a woodworking bench and a large assembly table. There have been times when most of this real estate has been almost totally cluttered with "stuff!."

I really miss not having any vertical wall space for hand tools.

As for my "wildest dream" (not LOML approved)- that would be an assistant, like a surgical nurse, who would anticipate my needs and instantly hand me any tool needed during my woodworking "operations" "Scalpel, retractors, chisel, drill, plane, screw driver," etc. It would, of course be the "correct tool" and be ready to use in all respects. And of course, once I am done, "she" would clean, adjust, sharpen, and put everything away in its correct, well organized storage place.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Pegboard is great but I got tired of picking up the hooks. I even bought a bunch of the "Talon" brand that screwed in but I have gotten rid of all but a small section of pegboard. My resolution for 2011 is to finish my shop and If I do I will post pictures:wink_smil

Hey Geoff,

If you still have the pegboard up they make little black plastic holdowns which tie in with the holes on either side of the peg hardware. They are a godsend for me.

I bought them in a bags of 25 from either Lowes or HD.

One can be seen in the middle of this set.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_267955-4688...gboard&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=pegboard

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
As for my "wildest dream" (not LOML approved)- that would be an assistant, like a surgical nurse, who would anticipate my needs and instantly hand me any tool needed during my woodworking "operations" "Scalpel, retractors, chisel, drill, plane, screw driver," etc. It would, of course be the "correct tool" and be ready to use in all respects. And of course, once I am done, "she" would clean, adjust, sharpen, and put everything away in its correct, well organized storage place.

If you can find one of those for a good price please let me know. It's exactly what I could use.:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS