Pondering .......Handtools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Handtools seem to evoke thoughts of neanderthals who just won't move into the future of power tools, but there is much more than that involved.

Most of us have handtools around (ie. chisels, handplane, handsaw, etc.) that were either handed down to us or bought for, or by, us in hopes of evoking some skill to build projects that we have always wanted. We have all, at one time or another, had visions of a piece of heirloom furniture, adirondack chairs, a picnic set, or something else that we could stand over proudly and claim as our own handwork. Hand tools were the gateway to that dream, but as soon as we attempted using them, we dreamed of owning power tools so that we could build the next project that came along from Norm on the New Yankee Workshop. Power tools were the future and the bigger, the better. After making the lawn furniture type of projects, we wanted to move on to a cabinet, chest, table or some other sort of a finer type furniture. These projects can be built using mostly power tools, but finishing them off right required the use of handtools. Chamfers were used to set screws, flush cut hand saws for trimming off the tops of plugs, block planes were used for cleaning corners. Other tools can be used for these jobs, but they are not as quick as using the above mentioned tools when in a skilled hand.

Which leads me back to the reason that I'm writing this, usage of handtools. how many of us have really tried to learn how to use, sharpen and properly care for our hand tools. The usage part takes less time learning than one might think, practice is what it's all about, practice makes perfect. Sharpening is a skill all in it's own, but with tools such as the Worksharp 3000 and it's counterparts having come along it's much easier, with a much shorter learning curve. This allows us more time to practice. Eventually it will become second nature, like riding a bike, and your hands will know what to do without having to use much thought. Now comes caring for your tools, this should be second nature, since we all upkeep and care for our power tools, right ? Well if you don't you should :gar-La;.

Hand tools can change your way of thinking about woodworking, they will truly empower you. You won't have to stay in your shop all of the time since hantools are truly portable. You can enjoy the outdoors on some days and even do some woodworking for relaxation when away from home. It starts with the basics of using a block plane and moving on to #'s 4-7, shaving off curls with a standard chisel to carving with many different syles, crosscutting with a handsaw to making tenons and dovetails by hand. Hand tools are not as expensive as people think, you do not need Lie-Nielsen or Clifton planes, Two Cherries chisels, or Wenzloff saws. Antique furniture, which has lasted for hundreds of years, were made with tools that are truly subpar by todays standards.

Don't be afraid to dive in and learn new hand tool skills, it's actually much easier to do than learning computer skills, DAMHIKT :gar-La;.

Calling handtool users neanderthals, referring to their lack of wanting to use power tools and move forward would be ridiculous if you don't want to move forward and learn new skills. People not wanting to learn a the true "Neanders" . Use a smoothing plane and make thin wisps of wood curls, or complete your first set of dovetails and then tell me how you feel about hand tools.

Ending this post, I would like to hear what others feel about hand tool usage. Are you for, against, or just too scared :mrgreen: to try them out ?

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice post Jimmy, speaking for myself I need to improve my hand tool skills. :wconfused: As you wisely pointed out craftsmen over the centuries have turned out beautiful works long before tools had cords. Whenever I see a project article I try to envision the various ways to build it using methods other than what the author uses. :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I said I never had much use for a powertool; never said I didn't know how to use it.

(anybody get that movie reference?)

davejones

New User
Dave
I for one was initially scared of hand tool work thinking that I would never be able to have the skill required to use them. Some of this fear was a direct result of trying to use cheap hand tools at a time when I had no real knowledge of how to use them. Couple that with the fact that I viewed nice hand tools as being as expensive (or more so in some cases) than the comparable power tool needed for the job, and it really seems out of reach to be able to complete a project with hand tools alone.

Now that I have been at this for a couple of years, I really want to incorporate more hand tools in my work. Since my tool allowance is limited and I'm still trying to round out my power tool shop, I still struggle with justifying $100 or more for some hand tools knowing that I won't have all of the other associated hand tools to finish the job. For example, I want to buy a nice #4 plane, but what about a jointer plane, a rabbet plane, a good set of chisels, saws, etc. I always struggle with the question: should I buy some decent hand tools, or save the money to put towards a bandsaw for example?

I think it is just a matter of time. If I stick with this hobby long enough I will acquire and use both power and hand tools. For now I am so far down the power tool path that I can't see turning around. I will just have to piece together some hand tools along the way and learn as I go.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It sounds like we need to get together some hand tool workshops in various parts of the state.

I volunteer for Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Stokes Co. area and anyone who will travel to the area.

I can help with choosing, refurbishing, sharpening and using planes, chisels and scrapers.

I'm still learning about saws. :dontknow:

I'll be moving to my home in Walnut Cove soon and it has a heated shop. :rotflm:

Len

New User
Len
I don't consider myself a Neander, but...

Since taking Roy's class, I find making dovetail joints by hand opens a lot more options, e.g., spacing, size, etc., for the way things will look when finished than using a router and jig does.

Len

davejones

New User
Dave
It sounds like we need to get together some hand tool workshops in various parts of the state.

I volunteer for Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Stokes Co. area and anyone who will travel to the area.

I can help with choosing, refurbishing, sharpening and using planes, chisels and scrapers.

I'll be moving to my home in Walnut Cove soon and it has a heated shop. :rotflm:

I will take you up on that offer (as soon as I can find some time anyway). Especially in the new heated shop!

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
A few months ago, I was staring at a tabletop I was working on. I needed to flatten it. I had an inherited jackplane, but was hesitant to use it (i.e. no experience with a plane and very little experience woodworking in general). I did some reading, some asking and thought, well the worst that could happen is an utter disaster (i.e. rebuild of the top) and best case scenario is, well, that I flatten the tabletop and learn to use a plane. Well I re-tuned the plane as best I could, mostly just needed to sharpen the iron: grind the bevel and hone the edge. I took some practice swipes off some scrap wood and got re-assuring results. So, I went to work on the top (underside first of course) and after an hr or so, I was done. There was a learning curve, a couple of boards should have been oriented differently based on the grain, had a few dips from tear-out, but all in all, the top was flat.

Fast forward several months, and I now have a #7, #5, #4, and #3 Stanley bench planes (types 10-14) that I purchased on ebay. I used these to dimension the stock for my current project, my workbench (top is 27"x72"; 3 1/4" thick syp). I should say that I used a jointer to give me a flat reference face/edge, but now that the workbench top is complete, I could joint faces and dimension with the planes alone (I did this for the legs and stretchers). Now, I certainly don't have the skill to accurately dimension stock for finer furniture as I do this as a hobby and have only just begun to learn, but if I need to flush an edge or just take off hair's breadth of stock, or joint an edge, I'd grab plane and be done before setting up my jointer/ router/ table saw and what not. Don't get me wrong that I won't at some point buy a power planer, but for now, I can get along just fine without one.

richlife

New User
Rich
I never wanted to really get into hand tools because I thought it would take longer to do "whatever". As I got further along with carving (which at first seemed impossible with gouges, chisels, etc.), I found the comfort of working without massive noise and being able to see the work evolve under my hands far offset any "extra" time. And as skills developed, I found that the time difference diminshed, disappeared or even reversed.

Obviously this time consideration doesn't apply to all woodworking. I still generally do major milling and shaping with heavy power tools. Some of that is still lack of skill with more elemental tools, but my preference has been to just get the wood to the size I need fast, and then continue skill development and product development with my more "artistic" hand tools.

Maybe banging away with a mallet and gouges isn't truly quiet, but to my ears it truly is. It's comforting and it allows better control of the evolution of many designs. Rotary power tools and such just don't cut it.

I bring all that up because the same need for "peaceful" woodworking has really pushed me to working more and more with planes and scrapers and other tools. Perhaps if I live long enough I'll go back to hand splitting and adzes. :gar-Bi It's hard to see the real negatives in that approach.

Ok, ok, I'll admit that not having my livelihood be dependent on getting stuff done as quickly as possible let's me enjoy this "peaceful" perspective. So be it. The hours I spend with hand tools seem to somehow enhance my life. The hours I spend with power tools just seem to use it up.

Rich

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I don't have the time (or the patience) to do the big tasks (milling/sizing, etc) that way, but I try to find tasks where hand tools can make my work better or faster. Scrapers were the first hand-tool I could put to regular use. Naturally, a block plane came next - for easing edges, etc. Then I found that a router plane was really handy for adjusting tenons (strange, I know, but it worked really well for me). My little Stanley 9x rabbet planes are getting more and more use. I've got two hand tools on my xmas list (a chamfer plane and a side rabbet plane).

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Quiet, relaxing, deliberate work. My hand tool joints are much nicer than my machine made ones.

I love using hand tools. Wish I was good enough to lose the table saw. Not yet though. I am using less sandpaper now though. :cool:

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
For years I tried to figure out how use, and justify the purchase of power tools. But my epiphany came when I was building myself kitchen cabinets back in the late 1990's, I made doors for the cabinets and had to fit them. The doors were oak with an inlay of maple and were a work of art, at least to me, so when I had to trim them to an 1/16" gap between pairs, I grabbed my power planer:BangHead: and got ready to do the deed. Luckily I came to my senses and put it down as fast as I had picked it up because besides taking of too much at once, it's blades were beat up from fitting full size doors. I opened up my toolbox and looked for that Stanley block plane that my father had in there, after playing around sharpening and adjusting this relic, I finally got it to work properly and finished the job properly.

In all honesty the power planer had it's place in construction, but I haven't used it since. Using the block plane to fit the doors, and ease the edges, was almost hypnotical as I watched thin wisps of wood curls roll out. I then started to find uses and collect different planes, mostly old Stanleys that I could refurbish, and moved on to other hand tools like decent chisels, scrapers, etc..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :gar-La;

To clarify my standing on tools, I still use and love my power tools. I would never exchange my DeWalt Drill/driver for an eggbeater drill, and I still use my tablesaw, jointer, planer, and other large power tools to dimension my lumber and do all of the heavy, rough work. But I find myself using my handtools a whole lot more.

Bryan S

Bryan

Thanks for the offer Mike. I would also be happy to take you up on the offer.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Very nice post. I am just learning hand tools (and power tools for that matter). But I do find a certain calmness when using a hand plane or some chisels. Its also nice to have a quite shop some times. Thanks for posting this. It was a nice little read.:thumbs_up

terry1166

New User
Terry
I've always been a power tool guy until recently. In the last few months I've picked up a couple of planes, bought a reasonably decent set of bench chisels and a WorkSharp 3000 to sharpen the irons with. There is definitely something magical about running a sharp plane over the wood or using a good set of sharp chisels to pare joints to a perfect fit. I've even started practicing hand made dovetail joints even though I've got a Leigh dovetail jig hanging on the wall. Now I need a decent dovetail saw. Somehow it just seems to be more satisfying doing the joinery using hand tools. I'm a hobbyist so I don't need to rush anything I decide to make. Still, I won't be selling the jointer, planer, table saw, band saw, drill press or any of the other power tools anytime soon.

Terry

Kenderc

New User
Dan
I'm an avid handtool user and proud of it. Starting out with powertools, I felt intimidated by the quantity of tool manufacturers out on the market and was really discouraged by thinking that I needed specific tools to do any sort of woodworking. When I decided to move to North Carolina after retiring from the military, I put all the power tools into storage and made a commitment to learn about how things were done before electricty came along. Needing to pack whatever I could to live in the RV, I just didn't have the room and frankly I was just fascinated by the idea. Starting with a few tools handed down from my peperé (grandfather), I made a commitment to learn and experience the neanderthal way.

Picking up a few deals on the internet, local flea markets, and antique stores to fill in some of the gaps left by my grandfather's tools, my collection slowly grew. I do not own any tools made by Lie-Neilson, bad-axe, lee valley or any of the other high end tool guys because I just can't afford them and have to make due with what I got. My total tool cost in the last year? Less than $500, and that's after I broke down and bought a norton waterstone and some other items recently. I tried the powered sharpeners and they just dont work for me. During the last year, I trained myself to stop thinking of what I don't have to "how can I do this with what i do have?" and I'm proud that I completed quite a few projects using only my handtools.

I'll be getting my stored items soon, which includes; a small tablesaw, a bandsaw, drill press, router table, but I'm not so sure that i'm going to turn them back on. I am the dark side. :cool:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
stop thinking of what I don't have to "how can I do this with what i do have?"

I've always had to work that way but in the last few years have gone soft and said what could I get to make this quicker and easier. I think it is time to go back to my beginning and do more with less.

jglord

New User
John
I have two comments to add to this discussion and please keep in mind they are just my opinions.

1. I think there is a place for both hand and power tools in woodworking today. I wouldn't want to mill a bunch of stock and cut a pile for making a set of doors by hand. The jointer, planner, and table saw just make this job so much easier. When it comes to final finish and fitting the doors, hand tools are hard to beat. For example, if you've made a pair of doors to fit a cabinet and need to trim a little off the doors to get that perfect fit, it would be very difficult to do with power tools. If this pair of doors had a total of 3/16" over size, taking a quarter of 3/16" off each door edge with a power tool would be close to impossible. Using a hand plane set to take 2 - 3 thousands of an inch per pass will do the job beautifully and leave you with an edge ready for finishing.

2. I own a collection of Lie-Nielsen planes and am very happy with them, but I would not recommend the average Joe to start with these. Sure they come out of the box square and flat and the blades take very little work to get them to cut, but if you've never used hand planes, they may end up as very expensive dust collectors. Starting with some inexpensive planes and learning how to get them cutting well requires a much smaller investment and teaches a lot about hand plane tuning. When you find you are using the less expensive planes enough to make the constant retuning a bother. Then I'd consider investing in the high-end tools. Before anyone gets jumping up and down, let me say that the old Stanley planes can be made to work just as well, and with an upgrade to the blade (to modern steels that will hold an edge longer), you can have an excellent tool. But beware, this process will take some time and money. Remember, what makes the Lie-Nielsen planes so good starts with the Stanley/Bailey design they used. They have just refined the design and make their planes exceptionally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS