Policy Against Personal-promoting Ads in Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think you are correct. The reply concerns me too. I think it should be addressed.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I'm going to pop him a personal PM to ask if he intends that to be there and see how that goes over. I looked at his photo album and he's an older (than me) gentleman and may not be doing this maliciously.

TracyP

Tracy
I'm going to pop him a personal PM to ask if he intends that to be there and see how that goes over. I looked at his photo album and he's an older (than me) gentleman and may not be doing this maliciously.

Thanks for taking this. He will understand I hope. I think it is innocent as well. Should go good.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Here's what I sent him, along the "unknowing" assumption.

"
Hi Ken

Was looking thru some posts and noticed your posts have an advertisement in them for Smiley's. This may not be intentional on your part, but it's showing up in your replies. You may wish to check your replies to see how, and why, this is showing up. Looks like it might be tied to your "signature" setting, or it has to do with something in your browser when you reply.

Take care
Jeremy
"

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I recall a while back, several years, that Steve cautioned about hotlinking smileys from SmileyCentral. I believe it's a good place to pick some malware.

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
More PM's between us:

boxxmaker said:
Hmmm beats the heck out of me.I know sometimes I use smileys that are not on the forum,but have no idea as to how this is happening.Maybe one of the puter folks can tell me whats goin on as I don't have a clue.Not trying to be difficult,just don't know.Maybe I'll not use my smileys an see if it stops.
Ken

Well, I'm one of those 'puter folks and am placing my bet on some sneaking program! From another reply you made where you didn't use a "custom" smiley, there was no ad. This leads me to think the program that makes the smiley's is sneaking in the ad (then when people click it, they make money or something).

Just a heads up ... it makes a mess in the forum and will likely usher in some complaints that aren't your fault.

No worries

Take care and glad to see you around here!

Jeremy

TracyP

Tracy
I recall a while back, several years, that Steve cautioned about hotlinking smileys from SmileyCentral. I believe it's a good place to pick some malware.

I think you are probably on target as is Jeremy:thumbs_up.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User

That's what I think is going on. He's got a toolbar that is installed in his browser that offers "free" smileys.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
He has not intentionally made that his signature. It must have tagged along by his use of the Smiley.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good catch Jeremy. Those are a real pain. You really earned your pay this week

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
And in conclusion ... his reply:

Thanky,I can fix those suckers,I'll just use the ones here,heck I can have all kinds of fun with them :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:ain't that what its all about?
Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

M

McRabbet

I would recommend that his posts be edited to remove them so they don't self-propagate to other readers. The smileys in his posts should be replaced with our best standard equivalent ones. Jeremy, can you do it or get him to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS