PM64 on CLT Craig's List $500 (Not mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Geez, I'm tempted to jump on that on general principle. Would need to find somewhere to shoehorn it in next to my other 2 saws though...not gonna happen :no:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Geez, I'm tempted to jump on that on general principle. Would need to find somewhere to shoehorn it in next to my other 2 saws though...not gonna happen :no:
$500 isn't a stellar price - especially if it's a real "Model 64" and not the better 64A.

-Mark

russellellis

New User
Russell
Just what ive been looking for to replace my outdated almost unusuable contractor saw now. Has anyone heard back from the poster? ive left a message but no response yet.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Huh. I have a 64A and love it. Whats the difference?
The Model 64 was plagued by QC and some design problems.

The saw improved dramatically when some re-design occurred, production was moved and the revamped saw designated the "64A".

Given a choice between a Model 64 and a Delta Contractor's saw (e.g. 34-4xx), pick the Delta.

-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Thanks for the info. For some reason I always thought the "A" designation indicated the left tilt model. Live 'n Learn! :)
Sort of..first there was the Model 64 (right tilt), then PMatic briefly added the Model 64L (left tilt). Then PMatic introduced the 64A (left tilt only) and discontinued the 64 and 64L.

So a Model 64A designates "left tilt" in the same way that Ford's Model T designated the color black. As in - you can have any color you want, as long as it's black (or left tilt in this case).

Mind you, all fabulous information is only useful if the seller actually knows whether he has a Model 64, 64L or 64 A - or something else. IME, sellers often have difficulty telling a contractor's saw from a cabinet saw.

IIRC, the Model 64A's first year of production was 1998.

-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
As I understand it, the Powermatic 64 Artisan is also referred to as the 64A (the "A" standing for Artisan).
No. The "A" as in "64A" represents a model change from the plain "64".

The Model "64" and the "64A" are both part of the Artisan line, along with lots of other Powermatic products.

If you look at a Powermatic catalog, they still use the letter convention to denote a model change. For example, the non-Artisan Model 3520 lathe was replaced by the Model 3520A, which was replaced by the Model 3520B.

For example #2, Model 60 jointer was replaced by the 60A, which was replaced by the 60B.

Model 54 was replaced by the 54A

Etc.

Recently Powermatic has started to use a bit of an alphabet soup of letters for their new models, e.g. PJ882SH - I assume this means "P arallelogram J ointer 8" wide 82" long, S piral H ead".

But the A, B, etc convention holds for model changes.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS