PLEASE READ - CPSIA Act of 2008 affects ww'er's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
That's right but in the mean time if you sell or give away children's items that have more than the new lead limits you can still be held liable during the stay.

M

McRabbet

Aside from the 1-year delay in the enforcement of the new law (products must still be lead-free), the CPSC issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Federal Register on January 15th that would exempt certain natural materials known to be Lead-free. Included are Wood and certain natural fibers. If one is making items targeted to children (such as toys), then they would need to be all wood with no exterior finish to be exempt from testing.

For those of use involved with making toys for needy kids like our Western NC Woodworkers Association, it means we cannot use plywood (glues exposed at edges) or finishes or exposed metal parts (we plan to use wooden peg axles for cars and trucks). For anyone interested in all of the government activities associated with this new Law, go to the CPSC site devoted to Information about the CPSIA.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Thank you gentlemen but the reason I responded to the post was,

"If you want to make a difference YOU must ACT and do it now! PLEASE GET INVOLVED"

If you don't say anything you can't complain when it happens. Your voice CAN make a difference, your silence will NEVER be heard! It is very easy, just go to the(click on the following) Handmade Toy Alliance web site and see how you can get involved.

Al Millman

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Lead has been banned from housepaint since 1978. Just where would you or I even get dangerous paint? Not trying to be smart here; just do not understand the wording of the law.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Earlier this week I bought a piece of 1/4 RO plywood. I was surprised to see it was made in china. If I use that piece of plywood to make a toy, do I need to have it tested ?

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Jeff,
From what I understand any toy that a child under the age of 12 will use has to be certified lead free, painted or not. This is what makes this issue so restrictive, now the powers that be are reexamining the Act and there may be changes. If you want to keep up with what is going on with this Act click on this link, Handmade Toy Alliance .

Big Al

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Our interpretation of the suitability of wood products for kids toys centers around a key statement made by the CPSC on February 6th that clarified the enforcement requirements concerning lead content in new children's products. They will not enforce lead limits for new children's products to the extent that they are made of certain natural materials such as wood, cotton, wool and some metals known not to contain lead.

In our interpretation of this statement and the Federal Register Notice that would exclude certain materials, the word "natural" would include solid, whole wood, but not a manufactured product like a plywood. Any toy making effort our Western NC Woodworkers Association conducts this year will be with solid woods only. We'll use solid wood wheels held in place with pegged axles.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thanks Rob that is some fun light reading!
Few questions you may or may not know. I tried reading through this again and my old man eyes aren't up for it right now so I've bookmarked it again.

What about finishes?
What about glues?
Since I don't have surgical steel or precious metals, no metal allowed? Screws, nails etc. ?

I understand the intent but leave it to the gov't to regulate the good will out of anything.

M

McRabbet

Glues are the reason we would not use plywood, even though we used a bunch of it with last years toys. Newly applied finishes, even with the more than 10-year old ban by EPA on lead content in US made finishes, must still be tested under the new legislation as do glues, screws, nails and the like. Sadly, the legislation was passed without consideration of existing limitations of things like paints or finishes (e.g., I doubt hide glue has any lead in it, but it would need to be tested). Again, the word "natural" is the guide term we are using -- if a fabric is dyed, it is not natural; if leather is tanned or dyed, it is not natural. We are not going to use surgical steel nails, either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS