Playhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
For the past week or so, I have been working on building a playhouse for my girls. Let me correct, that. I am actually building 2 playhouses. One for my girls, and one for a friend who is helping me build them. I am making them modular so they can be disassembled and moved if desired so I have made wall panels, trusses, etc. It has gone pretty well, but it gets to be a bit tedious when you have to make two of everything. I had all the lumber necessary with the exception of panels (siding, OSB, plywood), so that saved a bit of money, but I have had to dress every piece of wood that I have used. All in all I would say I have resawed, jointed, and planed about 80 rough cut 2 x 4's into fully dressed 2 x 2's along with a bunch of 1/2 thick stuff for facing, trim, etc.

I drew the entire thing up in sketchup. The drawings have helped a lot especially with building the trusses and getting the lengths and angles right. I like sketchup, but it can be a bit difficult getting cut lists and so forth out of, but I can't complain for free.

play4a.jpg

Here are a few pics with the walls up and trusses part way.

part_roof.jpg

truss.jpg

Here is a pic with the OSB up and felt paper down.

with_paper.jpg

side_with_paper.jpg

I haven't got current pics, but I did get all the hand rails built (did I mention I have to make two sets of everything) and installed along with almost all the trim. Will take a few more pics this evening.

Outstanding items have to do still for both playhouses including making door frames and doors which will be pretty simple to do, but the windows I haven't quite decided on. I would like to have windows that go up and down, but don't want to spend a fortune. Anyone have any good sources for small windows (19 x 24) or plans on how to make them? I could make some that go up and down, but I am not sure how I would keep them up. I am not real keen on using window weights like in old houses, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking

MikeH

New User
Mike
Travis,
That looks awesome. My daughter would love something like that. Do you have any idea what the total cost will be?

b4man

New User
Barbara
Travis, the playhouse looks great. Try a mobile home/camper supply house for small windows or call a modular storage building retailer for info. Good luck!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lookin good!!! when the girls are all growed up you will have a great finish room.....:roll: . hows that power feeder workin for ya?

fred p

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't taken the power feeder out of the box yet. All I know how to do at the moment is resaw, joint, plane, cut, and paint. Tripped over the thing a lot. As for a finishing room, it is a bit short. It is only 5 ft tall. Wished now I had made it taller to use for that exact purpose down the road, but I am not taking it down. Have I mentioned I have to make 2 of everything?:roll:

Mike, I didn't have to buy any dimension lumber. I had all the pine for that as well as the felt, roofing shingles, and some of the paint. I did have to buy pressure treated lumber for the frame, porch floor, etc. All in all, I would say I have $1000 invested in building two. That includes paint, nails, the works.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Looks great. Been there done that. Take a look at my link on my signature and look at the condo I built in my backyard. Only thing it's missing is running water.

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_thin I think that's bigger than my shop.

Looks great Travis, and remember . . . the cost of housing is always going up :mrgreen:

Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Look better built than the "storage sheds" sitting for sale around here. Might be on to a new business endeavor there, Travis!!:-D

Look better built than the "storage sheds" sitting for sale around here. Might be on to a new business endeavor there, Travis!!:-D

Lookin' Good!!

Lookin' Good!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS