Planer Helix Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmtrader

New User
Tony
Does anyone have any experience with installing a helix cutter on a Grizzly 20" planer? How complicated is it and/or does anyone know someone who can install the cutter. Thanks!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wish that I could help you but I can't afford neither a helix head nor a 20" planer :crybaby2::crybaby2:. There are several members who have done this install and I am sure they will be logging on soon. You might PM Allen in Little Washington, I believe that he has install them in both his planer and jointer.
BTW, welcome to the site. Please drop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little intro to yourself.
Dave:)

striker

New User
Stephen
I put a helical head in my 15 inch Grizzly. Its not terribly difficult task but I did need a an arbor press to remove/replace the bearings. Other than that, a few simple hand tools is all I needed.

When you're done have a stack of wood ready...you'll want to plane everything in sight!

Stephen

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
For everyone's benefit, here is my PM response to ajmtrader:

I don't know anything about installing a Byrd Shelix on the 20" Grizzly (I put one on a 15" Delta) but think the procedure is the same for all the Chiwanese machines. Go to the Byrd site where they have installation instructions and excellent pics for a number of machines including one for "generic 15/20" 4-post planers". That is what I used- except for the motor on the top, the gear box on mine and the procedures were the same. By the way, you will need to get a gear puller (free loaner from Auto Zone,Advance Auto Parts, and most chain auto parts stores).

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS