pig in a blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Decided to do something really different for me and totally out of character. If it all works out, this will be the first in a series of carvings based on pig sayings such as "pigs in a blanket" or "when pigs fly". I just thought it would be fun and add a little bit of humor to an otherwise overly serious life. Hope you all enjoy the sentiment.

The wood is basswood and the dimensions are roughly 12" x 16". The design was based on a picture I found a long time ago and for some reason held on to.

Stave www.stromcarver.com

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great.
My GMIL's maiden name was Pigg so LOML would like that too.

stave

New User
stave
Appreciate the comments. I also like the option of a few more pig phrases to work with, thanks Reggie. It's going to fun to come up with carvings for some of the phrases...definitely looking forward to it.

Stave

Joe F

New User
Joe
Awesome!

Appreciate the comments. I also like the option of a few more pig phrases to work with, thanks Reggie. It's going to fun to come up with carvings for some of the phrases...definitely looking forward to it.

Stave

More Pig phrases:

"Like lipstick on a pig"
"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
and the ever popular "when pigs fly"

M

McRabbet

Great subject and yet another clear example of your incredible talent! And Mark, thanks for your agreement to come to the Klingspor Extravaganza in late October to do some carving demonstrations in our booth! Everyone needs to watch for more details about the event and we'd love to have a great turnout for this opportunity to showcase NC Woodworker talent!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Great idea :icon_thum

I like how you did the folds in the blanket.

How deep is the carving?

pete

stave

New User
stave
Thanks everyone for appreciating the humor. The blank was 1 3/4" and the background is carved down 1". The folds are just roughed out and will take a lot more work to achieve the flow of fabric. The next photo will be dramatically different.

Can't wait to figure out how to carve "you can put a bonnet on a pig but it is still a pig". Just going to have fun with the whole idea.

Stave

stave

New User
stave
Here is an update of the progress. I am amazed at the comments but people always smile no matter what. That was the purpose of the carving so I guess it is working out!

Stave

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
looks great, like the idea of the pig series, but I wonder how you will display them.

Some more phrases:
- in a pig's eye
- pig-headed
- pig tails
- your room is a pig's sty (I remember hearing that!)
- piggy bank
- piggy back ride
- pig Latin (sounds like a scholarly pig)
- bleeding like a stuck pig
- slippery as a greased pig

do hogs count? hog wild, living high on the hog, hog wash

and of course given the time of year: pig skin (that would be a variation of "when pigs fly" :rotflm:)

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS