Pig Flies! Homemade bowl lathe is DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yes, its been a while.

The ambitious plan to build my father a bowl lathe for christmas (of 2007) has seen completion.

This lathe will safely turn a 30" bowl using a 3450rpm motor. A slower motor and some gearing come out to safely support an 80" bowl, so I don't think he'll outgrow it anytime soon.

I've updated the photo gallery with the final pics. There are also some new shots of the assembly.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1058

Lessons learned? Plan the small stuff. I lost more time on a few little things like mounting the motor and the tool stand.

Machine shops are not keen on woodworkers. I learned the hard way that what I wanted them to do was not as simple as I thought it was.

In the end, they responded well to handing them the parts and saying "i want this to fit on that and this cut to that". They did not like "i am building my own giant bowl lathe and need to fit a 1 1/2 x8 tpi face plate to a rod".

Speaking of rod, I went with a 3' (cut down to 18") 0-1 tool steel 2" drill rod. Big mistake. It cost me a lot of $$, and more to have threads cut on it. I'd still go 2", but use a hot or cold rolled steel rod.

The machinest also had lots of rod stock on hand, which would've saved me big bucks.

In the end, my father loves it. He uses it daily. My favorite comments are, it does not vibrate at all and it does not move.

Thanks to all who bounced ideas off me during the project.

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice Jim!!! it is always great to see a massive project completed and you have done a fine job. If I ever entertain 100 people for a BBQ and need a HUGE salad bowl I'll have to contact your Dad :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Support up to an 80" bowl? That's not a bowl anymore, that's a tub. Some very fine engineering sir!

Steve W

New User
Steve
80"?! :elvis:

That deserves a "Tool Grunt!" ARR -ARR - ARR!:gar-La;

I suspect you might be able to fashion round watercraft with it as well.

Nice bit-o-homebrew, Jim :eek:ccasion1

:kermit: Steve

DaveO

New User
DaveO
finished_lathe_18.jpg

Wow, that's got some mass to it :icon_thum
I would love to see some of your fathers turnings off it.
When are you going to start working on mine???

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job. You gonna build a tailstock next?
You know you're gonna chuck a stump up on that thing one day.:gar-La;

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, great work. :icon_thum Looks like Dad is putting it to good use. Mission accomplished.:wsmile:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Jim, I'm sure you are proud of the lathe, as you should be:icon_thum. More importantly, you did something for your Dad which is AWESOME.:notworthy:

I'm sure he will get much pleasure from it. Not just using it but knowing his son took the time to build it!!!

Bless you,

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Wow Jim! That's awesome. It's great to see the finished product. I can't wait to see it in action ;-). Great job :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS