Pier Bed for Grandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
I'm not one of the Master Craftsmen that most of you are but I do have some fun with wood. My daugheter asked me to make a submarine bed for my 2+ grandson. Having slept in sub bunks for a couple of decades, and knowing the short life of a novelty bed, I talked her into me making a pier. Started with a couple of scrap fence posts from Lowe's and used #1 pine for the outside and cut up scraps for the slats. (There's a rumor that a sub will surface on the outboard side at Christmas!

DSCN17431.JPG

View image in gallery

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bill, that's an awesome bed for any kid, great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Can't wait to see the surfacing sub.

Brian.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very unique! :icon_thum
Of course, you need some fake seagull poo and oyster shells of the tops of the posts to make it authentic. :gar-Bi

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
The pier bed looks great Bill. What a great idea. My little boy would be practicing his casting from that bed instead of the back yard!

-Lonnie

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
Thanks for the idea! I'll make the boxes with fish handles! A grandfather's work is never done!

richlife

New User
Rich
THAT is quite cool! Your grandson is going to love it -- especially with the enhancements. Keeping in mind that he will eventually out grow it (unless it's a full size bed -- hard to tell), you could also be thinking of how to modify it in the future to retain the design and still remain functional furniture (perhaps with loose back cushions, sofa-type seating?). Or maybe there will be more grandsons... Either way, it's something that he will eventually want for his sons.

Rich

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
How about making a rolling storage bin()s shaped like miniature row or sail boats? They could have multiple compartments and be painted white with a color piping on the top and his name painted on the back or side. Maybe with small wooden oars, loops of rope, or a personalized life preserver applied to the end for pulls?:eusa_thin

Or heck if you don't need under bed storage you could just make one mini boat as a toy he could pull out and sit in to play and pretend to fish from, complete with oars or a mast with sail he could put up and ropes to tie off to the pier pilings. :gar-Bi The possibilities are endless......

Brian.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
The pier bed looks great Bill. What a great idea. My little boy would be practicing his casting from that bed instead of the back yard!

-Lonnie

:rotflm:

I think my grandson would be doing the same thing. Looks great, and an excellent idea. :icon_thum

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
Yes, it is full size and the piers are notched so that they can be reversed when he gets a little older. The slats can also be moved to the other side of the support and add about 3 more inches to the height. Or the whole thing can be reversed and become a table or desk after adding a top. Thanks for the comments!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nicely done! Your design is great! I like the wrapped rope on top of the posts, nice touch.:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS