Picture upload error 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tried to upload 3 pics to my Gallery. Received an "upload error 500" message. Site problems or have I done something wrong?

Thanks.

Jeff

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Site issue. It is being worked but there are no estimates yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.1

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
To avoid splitting this topic, please follow this existing thread on Photo Upload Issues.

It can get messy when more than one active thread covers the same exact topic, so it is always a good idea to check recent threads to ensure the topic is not already being discussed.

If you normally only follow threads on the NCWW Home page you can check for existing threads on a given topic by clicking on the FORUM tab at top of page and then navigating to the HELP DESK. It can be easy to forget that the Home page is only a limited subset of active threads and any topic that has not been posted on in a day or two tends to fall off the Home page list.

I know the admins are busy working on this issue, we just need to bear with them in the meantime. Until then, you can still upload small images on the order of 640x480 and no more than a couple hundred kilobytes without issue. It is only larger, high-resolution, images that require optimization on the server side that result in the "500 Error" fault. Many recent digital cameras support image size reduction, as well as numerous other editing capabilties, directly within the camera. For older cameras any photo editing application should provide for basic editing, cropping, and resizing of photos.

A wonderful free image browser and editor can be found in IrfanView (install the available plugins to further extend its supported formats). My preference is to make IrfanView the default viewer for all IMAGES only, while ignoring its audio support since I allow other utilties (such as Windows Media Player, etc.) to handle the audio files. For Windows users, download the 'setup' or 'self-extracting' file versions as these include the Windows Installer and don't require manual configuration by the user. If you have any issues downloading from the sometimes obnoxious mirrors, you can scroll down to the very bottom of the download page for friendlier download links.

In IrfanView you can 'Resize/Resample' an image form the 'Image' drop-down menu OR you can batch convert multiple files from the 'Batch Conversion/Rename' option located under the 'File' drop-down menu. Lossless JPEG Rotation and Cropping can be performed from the 'Options' drop-down menu. If performing a batch conversion don't forget to set the 'Output Directory' where you want the converted files to be saved to.

If anyone needs a tutorial on Batch conversion for resizing images in IrfanView, PM me with your email address and I'll be more than happy to send you a PDF tutorial on the subject (Just input 640x480 or 640x640 [if some images are rotated] in place of the tutorial's 1600x1200 suggested size -- the tutorial was originally written for optimization of PowerPoint presentations).

HTH
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
It worked for me today. I uploaded 2 pics. One to the Calendar contest and one to my gallery.

Thanks for fixing this - Ken.
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS