Picked up a nice draw knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll let you know when it gets here, I just ordered it.

That is about the same price I see junk ones at the flea market all the time.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet! and Score!

I've bought several tools from Jim Bode, always satisfied with the price/quality.

Look forward to hearing how it arrives.

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I'll let you know when it gets here, I just ordered it.

That is about the same price I see junk ones at the flea market all the time.

Then I am an A+ negotiator, because I paid less than half that for my junk one. :rotflm:
Actually, mine is a decent one that had a hard life (split non matching handles, dings and rust but good steel). It's similar in style to yours (though it has less style :rolf:) but I wish it was narrower, which is why I wondered how wide yours is. I don't know if mine is wide for the style or not. I do want to get one of the narrower style one of these days.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, you get lucky some times.

I paid $12 for my best draw knife and $8 for a deep curved one that needed handles. No challenge for a turner, of course it took ME a while. But it has a nice set of walnut handles now.

And there is still one that needs handles that I am not sure what to do with. I'd like to make nice brass hardware for some walnut handles, but other projects keep getting in the way and I can't find my 1/4 inch sheet brass.

Oh, I gave away a straight draw knife to somebody last year??? It was wide and flat though, not what you are looking for. I think that one was $20 or so and almost new.

IMG_2912.JPG

CarvedTones

Andy
You stole that curved one, handles or not! Nice job on the handles, BTW.

I don't think I got an especially bad nor good deal at $10 for mine. It was usable after a sharpening. I took the handles off for a more thorough derusting and the very tip of one tang had been bent/unbent one time too many and broke off. :cry_smile So I need to turn some smaller "bulby" handles for it so the tangs stick all the way through. But I have been reluctant since I don't really care for the width. So mostly I use my machete and scultping adze/hatchet until it is spokeshave time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sweet! and Score!

I've bought several tools from Jim Bode, always satisfied with the price/quality.

Look forward to hearing how it arrives.

Jim

I believe you recommended him and i never thanked you for that.

Thanks! :icon_thum

Mostly I drool over the nice tools he has for sale, but once in a great while...

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good on ya, Mike. What a deal! :icon_cheers I've seen pocket knives that cost more than that draw knife.

Dragon

New User
David
Nice score there. I've been wanting to get one but haven't found one at a price I could afford. Sooner or later, I'll get one. All good things come to those who wait, or so I'm told.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
are these the handles you made? they are nothing less than beautiful. How did you fasten them?
James

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks!

Yes, the walnut handles I made. This old shave has spikes that go through the handles, the tip is bent over to hold the handle on.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It got here today, too tired to make pictures. I worked on my son's truck this afternoon. Why does a 4 cylinder engine have 8 spark plugs? And why are they so hard to get to?

Anyway the draw knife is 8" at the blade and 15" OAL at the widest point on the handles.

Nice 1 3/8 blade with good flat back and heavy spine.

One small crack in one of the maple handles. I'll inject some glue and give em a good coat of Danish oil.

Jim Bode made me happy again! :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks for that - mine is 7" of blade and a little over 17" at the widest part of the handles. A little smaller would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS