Penetrol eliminates brush strokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I picked up a can of Penetrol to see if it would really eliminate (or lessen) brush strokes. I mixed it with oil based paint as per instructions (4 oz. per quart) and brushed it on with a foam brush. Lo and behold - no brush strokes. Unfortunately, also no color. It thinned the paint so much that it was about like brushing on a clear finish. Seems to me an ounce per quart of paint is more than enough. Anybody ever used this stuff? Thoughts are appreciated.

Ernie

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've used Penetrol and FlowEase w/ Latex paints and had good results. I didn't realize Penetrol could be used for oil based paints. Hmmm!

Bill

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've used Penetrol and FlowEase w/ Latex paints and had good results. I didn't realize Penetrol could be used for oil based paints. Hmmm!

Bill
As far as I know, it can only be used with oil-based paint - or by itself on fiberglass.

Ernie

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Ernie,

The painters that I employed on a big commercial project years ago swore by Penetrol for oil based paints and got great results. I recall that they used far less than the label instructions suggest.

bobby g

T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro!
I have 2 in-laws that are pro painters and they turned me on to Penetrol many years ago. Great stuff for laying down a smooth finish without much brush drag. The latex version is Flowtrol also by Flood.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Greetings from Asheboro!
I have 2 in-laws that are pro painters and they turned me on to Penetrol many years ago. Great stuff for laying down a smooth finish without much brush drag. The latex version is Flowtrol also by Flood.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Thanks Tom. My mistake: I was thinking of Flowtrol, not Penetrol. Duh! :slap:

Bill

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie,

The painters that I employed on a big commercial project years ago swore by Penetrol for oil based paints and got great results. I recall that they used far less than the label instructions suggest.

bobby g

It seems the more Penetrol you use, the fewer brush strokes you get AND the less paint coverage. When you get up to 4 oz. per quart (which is where I started) you get practically zero brush strokes and practically zero paint coverage. So, you have to play with the ratio to get the least number (or severity) of brush strokes along with enough paint coverage to make it worthwhile. I did a few samples and found about 1 oz. per quart works well for me.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS