Pen Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
I know people have asked about where to buy pen parts before on this forum but I'm going to do it again so don't get mad....I've been buying my pen parts from Woodturnz, they have the same parts as Penn State Industries but sell them for a bit less. I really like the new colors they offer especially the gun metal and copper, these colors go great with the light colored woods. The problem I've noticed is that the plating came off (not good when you are selling the pens) on my personal pen and now I'm worried about the ones I've sold....also the twist mechanism seems to flex at the center of the pen after a while. Is this a common occurrence? or am I not buying a good quality kit? I've been turning the 7mm slim line twist. Also has anyone found a good source for a gel pen kit? Penn State has them but they are not very good looking kits. I've attached a picture of a curly maple pen using the copper pen kit.
Thanks for your help....

Attachments

• PENCM-01 Large Web view.jpg
    PENCM-01 Large Web view.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 140

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Also has anyone found a good source for a gel pen kit? Penn State has them but they are not very good looking kits.

Great looking pen! :eusa_clap Clay pretty much beat me to the punch with was I was going to add. PSI, IMO, is the lowest end kit retailer as far as quality is concerned. You would do much better with either Berrea (sp?) or CSUSA. I generally turn pens with either a chrome plating or satin nickel, and I have found them to be very durable and lower cost then the Titianium or Rhodium kits.
For a good lower cost gel pen kit the CSUSA PK-MontPar is highly recommended. It's a Euro style pen that uses a Parker refill. It's endorsed by Eagle...'nuff said :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Nice Figures

New User
Thanks Dave and Clay,
I'll check them out. Sometimes you just can't tell if everybody (retailers) get their kits from the same manufacture. Does anyone know if the kits from Berea, Craft Supply, are from a different manufacture or made to a better standard than other kits? For a few dollars more I'll buy a better kit but I'd like to be sure not the same kit Penn State sells, you know what I mean?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
"For a good lower cost gel pen kit the CSUSA PK-MontPar is highly recommended."

Whoa!
I don't mind being quoted, but I donb't want to be misquoted.
I don't buy much from CSUSA.
Most of their kits are much too Gaudy for my taste and in the past their practices on shipping screwed the customer big time.
The PKmon PAr is an 8mm "euro-style" kit from PSI that is easily modifiable.
I get all my PSI stuff from Woodturningz becasue of their service and as stated earlier thier prices are better than PSI direct.
Any kit that takes Parker style refill will take a Parker type Gel refill.
Make sure you do not "cheat" on the lower tube.If the refill does not retract you will wind up with a spotted pocket with a gel refill.
The only kit I use from CSUSA is the full size Gent because it is a classic design and can be easily modified.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I get most of my kits from Woodcraft or PSI with the occasional CS order thrown in for good measure. I can only afford to buy from WC when they're having their 30% off sale ;-) . I have some of my original pens from both sources and they seem to be holding up well. I've only had one real bad experience and that was from an ebay supplier. Shame on me for trying to be cheap :slap: .

DaveO

New User
DaveO
"For a good lower cost gel pen kit the CSUSA PK-MontPar is highly recommended."

Whoa!
I don't mind being quoted, but I donb't want to be misquoted.
I don't buy much from CSUSA.
Most of their kits are much too Gaudy for my taste and in the past their practices on shipping screwed the customer big time.
The PKmon PAr is an 8mm "euro-style" kit from PSI that is easily modifiable.

That's my bad, Eagle, and my most sincere apologies. At least I did get the kit right, that you have mentioned so many times....I just screwed up the manufacture :slap: :slap: me.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I am FAR from the expert here. I may have the cheapest soul though.
I have found that http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/ has the better prices on pen kits.
And to make it even better, the Rhodium kits are the same price as the others.
Now if I can only make a pen that I want to last that long...:lol:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That's my bad, Eagle, and my most sincere apologies. At least I did get the kit right, that you have mentioned so many times....I just screwed up the manufacture :slap: :slap: me.

No harm , no Foul

Sometimes you just can't tell if everybody (retailers) get their kits from the same manufacture

Actually it isn't as confusing as you might think.
CSUSA does not resell through any retailers.They are the only ones who sell their own kits.
Because there are basically three suppliers using the process of elimination that leaves only 2, Berea and PSI.
If you look at a resellers line of kits it is fairly easy to distinguish between a Berea kit and a PSI kit.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
I have a slightly different take on things.

While like the customer service from woodturningz, stopped shopping there. Kits and part quality leaves a lot to be desired. Just don't care for PSI, kits and supplies.

Only kit order from Craft Supplies is their 24K Click Pen, which like to make. Just wished they offered that kit with a chrome plating.

BereahardWoods, like the quality of their kits, platings and prices. They run specials from time to time on the internet. Also their Introductory Kits with bushings not a bad op. I have had problems making their Button Click pen Kit. How much of that problem attributed to me and lack of skill, who knows! Bottom line order their free catalog, 1-877-736-5487 or go to http://www.penkits.com

You need a copy of their catalog to compare prices, to see if your getting a bargain from their resellers already mentioned here.

If you like making Slimline pens, Arizona Silhouette offers them in 24k and chrome for $1.70 per kit. Have not ordered Slimline pens from him so not sure about the quality. Also carries more expensive varieties. Also check out his special on "Streamlined 7 mm Pen kits and Cigar Pen Kits this week.

Nice Figures

New User
I just got back to the computer, great information, thanks. I have wanted to "try" out the other sellers mentioned but have been hesitant because I'd have to buy and keep track of a different set of bushings. Looks like I'm just going to have to order some and check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors