PC Pancake Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have the basic Porter Cable compressor shown in the picture.

PCPancake.jpg

About 2 years old with relatively light use.

I have noticed that after the compressor shuts down, air escapes slowly. I have isolated the leak to the enclosed motor in the area of the slotted grill on the left side. The parts list shows the motor as a single part number. My questions are:

1. Is this repairable by myself or do I need to take to a service center (3 hour round trip)?
2. Can I open up the plastic enclosure to get to the motor or do I just cut the plastic grill?
3. Should I not worry about the leak, the compressor works fine otherwise. I was thinking of soundproofing the area where the compressor sits anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ehpoole

Ethan
There is no reason not to remove the plastic cover to continue the diagnosis. The plastic cover exists for one purpose only -- personal safety. The motor and pump housing get very hot in use. Additionally, if your compressor features an open frame motor or belt and pulley then the cover also protects the user from coming into contact with those moving parts.

So pull the cover off, break out the soapy water, and hunt down your problem. You may have a leaking threaded fitting, a defective casting, or even a split in a fitting or housing, but that's what a liberal coating of soapy water (just don't wet the motor itself) will help you hunt down.

You can either make your own soap solution with some water and a touch of dishwashing soap (then shake/mix well), or you can purchase it ready made in the childrens aisle as bubble-blowing solution. You can also purchase it, more professionally packaged, in some plumbing and HVAC aisles for detecting gas and freon leaks. I prefer the ready-mixed professional solutions personally -- they include a handy swab built into the lid -- but to each their own.

PS - I don't own this particular compressor, so I've never disassembled it. If you remove all the screws you can find and still can't get it apart because it still seems firmly attached somewhere, then you will want to search under any product labelling/decals for possible hidden screws. Manufacturers sometimes hide screws underneath labels to either prevent the average Joe from disassembling the unit, or, in the case of warranty issues, to detect user tampering.

Good luck with your diagnosis!

DonDeJ

New User
Don
Plastic covers are often used to direct airflow, which helps with cooling. Just save the parts and put them back when you're done. The leak could also be in the check valve, which is supposed to keep air from going backwards through the compressor. You would hear the such a leak through the intake. It only takes a little piece of debris to keep them from closing all the way.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Does it only leak for a short time after the compressor shuts off, or does it continue to leak until the compressor starts up again? If it only leaks for a short time, 30 seconds to a minute, what you are likely hearing is the the unload valve that bleeds down the remaining compressor cylinder head pressure so the compressor can restart easier the next time that it needs to start. This is normal and necessary. If the leak is present continuously until the next time that the compressor starts, then you have a problem that needs attention. I don't own one of these compressors, but have fixed one for a friend. His had a leaking tank fitting.

Charley

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
I have an older model of this. 6-7 years old.
I may be the only one that does this, but when I get finished using it each time, I bleed excess pressure off, open the tank bleed valve on the bottom of the tank and blow the moisture out. Which all serves to empty the tank until the next time it's used. No further leak because there's no air left to leak. Unless you think you are losing too much air/pressure when it's running, I don't know that I'd get too worked up over it. Then again, that's just me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS