Pay for surfacing, or buy a planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Parsley

New User
Brad
Only a few posts on here, but I have an opinion question.

I only a few projects under my belt, but a few lined up. Since I don't own a planer and am just starting out, I've limited myself to working with dimensioned lumber from big box stores.

Here's the question: I've found a good deal on a 12.5" dewalt planer (~300, new). Do you think I would be better off to just pay for surfacing and ripping of the woods I want to work with, or bite the bullet for the planer? I also figure for that price I could resell it if I ended up not using it.

Looking for opinions,

Brad

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If you are thinking you'll do a lot more woodworking get the planner. You'll be amazed at how many doors it'll open up for you. A jointer kind of comes hand in hand with a planner but you can make do without one (I built my sons crib without one). You can build a sled for "jointing" a face with the planer and a jig for the table saw that will allow you to straight line rip.

So, go get the planer, take some pictures and gloat like you should. :-D

sawduster

New User
Robert
I'm just a rookie , but buying a planer opened up a lot of avenues for me . Buying rough wood at good prices and milling it myself has been a real pleasure and a good learning experience . I can join and plane my own boards and customize a lot of my scrolling projects . I'm even learning to use the planer as a joiner . I have a pretty inexpensive Delta planer and it has served me very well
If you can afford it , I say go for it .....I never buy lumber from the BORG anymore . We have some awesome sawyers on this site and there is always wood available :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If you can't get the planer, I could help. I am in Salisbury, only 4.3 miles from the Davie line off of 601. I have a Ridgid 13 inch planer and would be glad to help.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a coincidence!!!

I just came in form the shop after jointing and planing about 75 BDFT of some of Jeff and Scott's fine red and white oak. I don't think that my wallet would survive without having both the little 6" Ridgid jointer and my DW 735 planer.

I too am guilty for buying the dressed lumber from the BORG!:gar-Cr But, believe me that there is a boatload of money to be saved by dressing yur own! The big plus is the quality of lumber available from our local sawyers!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

HTH

Wayne

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I've never purchased "planed" wood from a supplier, so I need to ask....

Do they face joint first and then top plane your board, or just run it through, flip and run again.

Back to my posts on the warped cherry thread, if it's not face jointed (or sled joint planed to assure a flat surface) aren't you asking for trouble?

BTW, 40 cents / BF to surface seemed rich to me, but then again (I'm in poverty mode now) I bought a PJ882 when I felt wealthy.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Brad, you'll find even better prices on equipment by buying used (but still as functional as they ever were) such as through craigslist or this forum. Then the price you buy it for is about the price you can re-sell it for if things don't turn out or if you upgrade. :)

The best part about buying used if you're starting out is that you'll end up with better equipment for the same expenditure as buying new. I know when I first started a few years ago this seemed backwards to me. I couldn't imagine old iron working better than a nice sparkling machine from a big box store. However, older used equipment is only worth re-selling because it was made so well in the first place. You have to do some research, and there is always the chance that an owner along the way has damaged or mis-treated a tool, but it isn't unusual to find an unused tool being "disposed" for nearly half price.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Brad, you'll find even better prices on equipment by buying used (but still as functional as they ever were) such as through craigslist or this forum. Then the price you buy it for is about the price you can re-sell it for if things don't turn out or if you upgrade. :)

The best part about buying used if you're starting out is that you'll end up with better equipment for the same expenditure as buying new. I know when I first started a few years ago this seemed backwards to me. I couldn't imagine old iron working better than a nice sparkling machine from a big box store. However, older used equipment is only worth re-selling because it was made so well in the first place. You have to do some research, and there is always the chance that an owner along the way has damaged or mis-treated a tool, but it isn't unusual to find an unused tool being "disposed" for nearly half price.

He speaketh wisely :notworthy: Almost my entire shop and the wood I use in it has been purchased or otherwise acquired from the members of this group :banana:
Some things have actually passed through and found new homes in other shops as I have learned them and upgraded :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have just had a realization in this producer milled vs. shop milled scenario. I bought some Cherry from one of our local sawyers, green and had to let it dry. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but it couldn't have been more than $3-4 a BF...for 11+" wide Cherry. Surfaced it myself.
Need some more. Checked all my suppliers of rough sawn stock, they are all out. My only recourse now is to buy from a supplier that sell their stock S2S. The price is now between $8-12 a BF :swoon:
Yes you will save money and it will open up many more avenues for fine wood than you had before.

Of course you asked this question on a tool crazed woodworking forum, what did you expect for the answer other than buy a good tool.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have never bought hardwood from the big box stores. You pay way too much. Even if you go to the actual hardwood stores they will surface it for you.

As for the planer, it depends. How much do you enjoy this hobby and do you think you will use it? I got by for a few years before I bought my first planer. Now, I am on my third one.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
The first 2.6 projects I made were out of oak from Lowe's. I ran out of wood on the last project and I couldn't find any more in the stores near where I live. So, I bought some from Wall's and they planed it for me. However, it wasn't as smooth or straight as what I had bought from Lowe's. I was able to get it straight with a hand plane - no big deal.

I bought a used Dewalt 735 I found on here (thanks Wayne) and I love it! But, it is a slippery slope because I found that I needed a jointer to get lots of boards flat. Then, it got cold outside and I needed something to deal with all the chips and dust. That lead to a dust collection system. So, it depends on how much you are going to do in the future.

Another thing to consider is how much fun it is to run rough boards through the planer and jointer. It is amazing to watch the grain and figure reveal itself.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Brad, ditto on going with the planer. I am over in Yadkinville, if you ever need a hand with something.

J

jeff...

It's what you want... Some folks like it surfaced for them. Yet others are very insistent on surfacing and jointing their own. It's all part of the craftsmanship they call woodworking.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've never purchased "planed" wood from a supplier, so I need to ask....

Do they face joint first and then top plane your board, or just run it through, flip and run again.

Back to my posts on the warped cherry thread, if it's not face jointed (or sled joint planed to assure a flat surface) aren't you asking for trouble?

BTW, 40 cents / BF to surface seemed rich to me, but then again (I'm in poverty mode now) I bought a PJ882 when I felt wealthy.

Jim,
When I used to buy my wood "dressed" all they did was run it through the planer,flip and run it through the planer again. That is when I decided to get my first planer & jointer.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Buy the planer. Lumber at the big box stores is extremely expensive. Getting it surfaced by a hardwood dealer is certainly an option, but it's very convenient if you can do it yourself. Plus, buying it dressed can be a problem if there is too big of a difference in humidity between your shop and the lumber store - it might warp.

So much for the rational reasons. Another really good reason is that it's fun! Professional machines eat lumber with ease, but a small lunchbox planer requires some patience. So you have many enjoyable hours dressing the lumber, letting it acclimate, etc. There is nothing like putting a rough, ugly looking board through it and seeing a beautiful piece of wood come out. Of course, planers produce masses of chips so now you're looking at a Dust Collector, maybe some duct work, a trash can separator for all those chips. Build some infeed/ outfeed tables or a flip-top stand. Get a jointer to compliment the planer, then fret endlessly on whether to get a straight or shelix type head. In other words, a planer ensures you're set for life in this hobby :)

But seriously, being able to dress your own lumber is a major step. You'll recoup your investment in very short order.

J

jeff...

Jim,
When I used to buy my wood "dressed" all they did was run it through the planer,flip and run it through the planer again. That is when I decided to get my first planer & jointer.

Jimmy you are right, of course you know that already didn't you :).

Brad Parsley

New User
Brad
The planer has been purchased. I'll have some pictures tomorrow, as well as some of the basement shop in my new place (work in progress).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The planer has been purchased. I'll have some pictures tomorrow, as well as some of the basement shop in my new place (work in progress).
Good Luck Brad, you've just taken the first step. Watch your feet and your wallet because it's all downhill, quickly.:gar-Bi

Brad Parsley

New User
Brad
Here's the pic. Still in the box until I build a stand for it.

IMG00031.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS