Paraffin Wax & Mineral Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I remember reading about Bruce's (junquecol) paraffin wax and mineral spirits to protect shop equipment. Could you mix it a little thicker and use it as a wood sealer? Wouldn't that be about the same idea as anchorseal?

Ok, so I have a problem. I've come to the woodworkers anonymous on NC. [MOUSE]He's loony I tell ya![/MOUSE]

:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I remember reading about Bruce's (junquecol) paraffin wax and mineral spirits to protect shop equipment. Could you mix it a little thicker and use it as a wood sealer? Wouldn't that be about the same idea as anchorseal?

I would think that it would work well. That isn't much different than what Anchorseal is. The only diference I can see is that Anchorseal stays as a liquid, and the home brew might set up after a short time.
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would think that it would work well. That isn't much different than what Anchorseal is. The only diference I can see is that Anchorseal stays as a liquid, and the home brew might set up after a short time.
Dave:)

If it sets back up I would think another dose of MS would bring it back to life. :widea: Worth a try anyway.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Couldn't I just use a warm water bath to warm it back up?

I tried melting the wax and covering that way, but I think I ended up with most of the wax on the ground.

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what happens.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Couldn't I just use a warm water bath to warm it back up?

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what happens.

Sounds like a very similiar thing I do with oils and bees wax for chairs. I warm the oils in a container in a water bath, melt the wax and mix while both are still warm. Then set it aside until it cools completely. The consistency is controlled by how much wax is added to the oils--------you can make it like a cream or like a paste.

I think you will be OK with the idea-------MS will probably evaporate much quicker than BLO so maybe add a little oil to the mixture also.

Jerry

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Where do you get the wax?

Paraffin or bee's?

Paraffin wax is sold in the grocery store with the canning supplies. I've mostly seen it sold under the brand name Gulf. Comes in a pound box w/ four slabs in the box.

DavidF

New User
David
Paraffin or bee's?

Paraffin wax is sold in the grocery store with the canning supplies. I've mostly seen it sold under the brand name Gulf. Comes in a pound box w/ four slabs in the box.

It was the paraffin wax I was interested in. Howard mentioned it for a butchers block finish a few weeks ago. would Walmart sell this? I've never done any canning!!!

Thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Walmart probably has it, I can't imagine they wouldn't. But I know grocery stores have it, so that's my go to reference.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, I have seen it in Wally World. I would look in housewares. It is either with the household cleaning supplies or with the glass storage containers. Look for Mason Jars.

DavidF

New User
David
David, I have seen it in Wally World. I would look in housewares. It is either with the household cleaning supplies or with the glass storage containers. Look for Mason Jars.

Thanks Scott, I'll send Carol on a mission next time she's in there.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The latest (Nov '08 ) issue of Pop WW has an article by Marc Spanuolo on using "Varnish on a Butcher Block" over the traditional mineral oil and parafin or bowl oil. He thins it 75% with mineral spirits so that it soaks in better. Basically the same thing as wipe one products, they are just thinned more than brush-on.

DavidF

New User
David
The lastest (Nov '08 ) issue of Pop WW has an article by Marc Spanuolo on using "Varnish on a Butcher Block" over the traditional mineral oil and parafin or bowl oil. He thins it 75% with mineral spirits so that it soaks in better. Basically the same thing as wipe one products, they are just thinned more than brush-on.

Don't you find all these articles tiresome after a while??? They simply confuse I find. Wouldn't it be nice if there was single can on the shelf that said "finish for wood, suitable for interior and exterior" Bottom line generally is that you can use pretty much any of the products out there and get an acceptable finish. I have managed to reduce my arsenal to 3 basic ones now: Friction polish for turning (cheapest one), Seal-a-cell and arm-a-cell for wipe on if it's too difficult or too small to spray and Target coatings WB lacquer for spraying larger surfaces that might show brush or rag marks or would simply take too long to wipe on. It has made my life a lot easier that's for sure. When you don't know what you are doing as far as the chemistry is concerned I find it easier to reduce my options!

My 2d worth anyway.

But thanks for the info Alan didn't mean to dismiss it:embaresse

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wouldn't it be nice if there was single can on the shelf that said "finish for wood, suitable for interior and exterior"
Yeah, that's be nice. Although you could make the same argument for joinery :)

DavidF

New User
David
Yeah, that's be nice. Although you could make the same argument for joinery :)

"Brads and a little glue" to quote Norm...... or these days all I hear about is pocket hole joinery, so maybe we have our almost universal methods....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS