Panel Trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I was wondering what some of you guys and gals use to trim the ends of panels over 18" or so. Do you use a sled on your table saw or use a skill saw with a straight edge? My radial arm saw has its limits and as far as square goes well...

Monty

New User
Monty
Sled on the table saw. It's pretty easy to make one that will handle up to about 20-24".

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, sled up to 24", over that I use a straight edge clamp/guide. Depending on the length of your panel, often you can just use your rip fence if the panel is fairly wide.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I use the table saw slider or, for really big stuff, a circular saw with a really good blade and a clamped straight edge.

There are plans on line ( http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pages/panelcutter.htm ) or from places like the New Yankee Workshop, for making a table saw panel cutting jig.

If you plan on cutting a lot of full sheets of plywood or MDF, you might consider making a sheet goods cutting jig. I did see some plans for a full scale panel cutter (frame plus a mounted circular saw) in a magazine recently.

(Don't forget, good side up when cutting on the table saw... good side down witha circular saw.)

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sled up to about 22" and then clamp-n-guide for bigger than that. Got a small skillsaw that isn't too big to use with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors