Over Door Carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
This is a Christmas present for my Dad who loves sailing. I have not yet finished the finish, but thought it was close enough to show off! It is carved in red oak and finished with garnet shellac. This was my first attempt at lettering.

Let me know what you think!

(I hope Dad doesn't decide to browse through here! :wconfused:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
This is a Christmas present for my Dad who loves sailing. I have not yet finished the finish, but thought it was close enough to show off! It is carved in red oak and finished with garnet shellac. This was my first attempt at lettering.

Let me know what you think!

(I hope Dad doesn't decide to browse through here! :wconfused:)

Looks good, Ed. He'll love it! Great first effort!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ed,

That is a fantastic looking plaque!

The only thing that bothers me a little is the dots over the "i"s, they look a little large.

The sail carving is great and the lettering is smooth and consistent.

I know your Dad will be very proud of it.

stave

New User
stave
Great work and very clean. I know you spent some time sanding that one! Did you use a router to make the dots over the i's? If so, next time use a #9 sweep or some other deep sweep gouge. Take the gouge and a piece of cardboard, stand the gouge straight up and rotate it in a circle...you can check the dia. of the circle this way on the cardboard. When you go to actually carve the dot just slant the gouge a little and while pushing rotate in a circle. It will cut a clean dot, might have to practice a little to get it right.

Hope I have not offended you with information you already knew. The lettering is really sweet on the plaque.

Stave

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks for the comments! Yes, the dots are a little too big. I didn't have the right gouge and decided to use a drill bit to make the dots. Two problems from this; 1) I picked a bit that was too large and 2) I caused a lot of tearout on the oak and had to repair some of it.:embaresse Oh well, something learned for the next one

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Ed-your just getting better and better with those carving tools-what a great present! Very well done.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That looks great Ed. I haven't tried carving....yet, but I can certainly appreciate the work that went into that piece. I am sure that he will be impressed and thankful for that gift. :eusa_clap

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' Good :icon_thum

Nice job on the boats. I like the texture for the water.
Only thing is I'm surprised no one noticed that your letters are all wavy !?!.
Oh, I get it "Wavy" - boat - water :wsmile:
Bad joke :nah:

pete

MikeH

New User
Mike
Ed that's awesome! I hope to get to see it in person before you give it to your Dad. Great job! :icon_thum

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Congrats, I know your Dad will love it. My only concernis the finish. Shellac will not hold up to heat and if they "wash" it it will turn cloudy. I would recommend a good coat of varnish over the shellac.
Jim in Mayberry

nelsone

New User
Ed
Congrats, I know your Dad will love it. My only concernis the finish. Shellac will not hold up to heat and if they "wash" it it will turn cloudy. I would recommend a good coat of varnish over the shellac.
Jim in Mayberry

Thanks Jim. It will hang over a door, so I don't think there will be any excess heat. Light dusting and a rub down with some paste wax should keep it looking good. My thinking is a lot of antique furniture has withstood an awful lot with just occasional waxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors