Osborne Excaliber 50-EB3 Miter Gauge Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Found what looks like a good deal on one of these and only see one reference here from Gofor. Anybody else using these? Norm seems to use his a lot. FWW did a review in 2003 and trashed it. Tom Hintz reviewed it and really liked it. Not sure the timeframe between the two reviews and what changes have happened but obviously some improvements were made.
http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/50-eb3.html
Thanks!

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Mark,

I've had the Osborne for about two years and really like it. I've seen the adds for the new and improved version but can't seem to discern the diff from the one I have.

I would highly recommend it as an all around miter gauge. The only thing I would add is that the peel and stick abrasive that comes with the gauge is really rough (ie 60 grit). I'd replace it with either 120 or 220 peel and stick.

Dan C.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Mark,

I saw Norm using the first version and bought one way back then and have loved it for at least 5 years. Mine dosen't have the extruded aluminum fence, but it has served me very well for all this time. I like the stability and the repeatability when swiching from one side of 90 to the other. A very good upgrade.:icon_thum

James

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I've had one for a year. I love it. I would recommend it. Seems well constructed and easy to use. I would be interested in seeing the negative review.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I will give a so so review. Nice gauge, but if you want to go to the other miter slot in a saw, not easy to do. It is excellent for angles, the stop works well (although I rarely used it), and it is very tight.

I guess I rescind that statement. It is a worthwhile purchase IMO.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'll chime in again and say the more I use it the better I like it. About the only negative thing I have found is that it is a little tricky to hold a nut in the extruded slot when adding an auxiliary fence to prevent tear out or for an add-on box joint jig, but needle nose pliers work well (the back holes are in the same slot that is used by the adjustment knobs to move the face toward or away from the blade)

Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
FWW Sept-Oct 2003
"The EB-3’s guide bar has three adjustment points to help provide a snug fit in the mitergauge slot. The problem with the overall design is that wide stock pushes one of these points out of the miter slot, allowing the guide bar and entire miter gauge to flex. The EB-3 incorporates an eccentric mounting point at the rear of the bar for the adjustment arm, allowing the user to fine-tune the angle settings. However, even with this mounting point tightened as much as possible, there was play in the mechanism and also at the point where the
fence and bar meet, adding to the overall inaccuracy, especially when pushing long or heavy stock."

This was what got me scratching my head after the glowing reviews. Are you really dependent on the back miter bar adjustment point being in the miter slot for this gauge to be stable?

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I have one but haven't used it ever since I bought the Jessem Master Slide for my table saw. I use it as an everyday miter gauge, and it's really great at cross cutting 24"+ panels. If you do a lot of small work the Osborne is great, but if you ever want larger cross-cut capacity, the Master Slide rocks.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Geoff if you're intersted in selling yours PM me. I'm coming through GSO about every other week. I have an alternative for wide stock miters. It's very accurate, just not quick and easy. I need quick, easy and very accurate for <12"wide stuff until my wife agrees I can't live another day without a Kapex. Yeah...right...:nah:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
FWW Sept-Oct 2003
"The EB-3’s guide bar has three adjustment points to help provide a snug fit in the mitergauge slot. The problem with the overall design is that wide stock pushes one of these points out of the miter slot, allowing the guide bar and entire miter gauge to flex. The EB-3 incorporates an eccentric mounting point at the rear of the bar for the adjustment arm, allowing the user to fine-tune the angle settings. However, even with this mounting point tightened as much as possible, there was play in the mechanism and also at the point where the
fence and bar meet, adding to the overall inaccuracy, especially when pushing long or heavy stock."

This was what got me scratching my head after the glowing reviews. Are you really dependent on the back miter bar adjustment point being in the miter slot for this gauge to be stable?

I just checked my set up. Perhaps my miter slot on my "high-end" Ridgid 3650 :rotflm:is more true than the evaluator's, but I adjusted the first and middle one on mine with the fence just on the table (from the front), and then the back one for an easy smooth slide through. The side-to-side play at the fence with just the first two adjustment points in the miter slot is .003". With all three is .0015" (about 1 and 1/2 thousandths) in 7" of travel. That means, on my saw, that I may have a maximum of 1 1/2 thousandths variance in the first 7" of a 12" long cut with the blade all the way up, and in a 14" cut with the blade up 1". For me that is quite acceptable, and in actual performance, it has been dead on as far as the wood is concerned. The first two are ahead of the fence, (in the first 10 inches of the bar) so give a pretty good fit, but the last is another 7" behind the fence, so does true it up more. Would all three ahead of the fence be more accurate? I would say yes, but you also have less flex in that fence because of the triangular support. As I frequently use mine for pieces that hang past the side of the saw table, I like the stability of the fence.

As a side note, I like the rough tooth profile on the fence applique' as it takes less hand pressure to keep the board from sliding for 45 degree cuts. Ol' Arthuritis can make those knuckles howl after a few boards needing the "gorilla grip of death" pushing them past the blade. Guess i'm gettin' too old!

Go

Caveat: When I got my saw, the front of the miter slot was narrower than the rest of the slot, and I trued it up some with a mill file. Getting the Osbourne was what made me realize how much tighter it was, motivating me to correct it.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Geoff if you're intersted in selling yours PM me. I'm coming through GSO about every other week. I have an alternative for wide stock miters. It's very accurate, just not quick and easy. I need quick, easy and very accurate for <12"wide stuff until my wife agrees I can't live another day without a Kapex. Yeah...right...:nah:
I was thinking about selling it since I never use it. But then I realized that I can use on my my router station. It's come in very handy! I definitely recommend it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have an old EB-2 so don't have the fancy extruded fence, etc. I find it is not as precise as some gauges with positive steps and vernier scales (to 1/10 deg.) like INCRA, JESSEM, etc., and mine flexes too much. There is no way to calibrate or adjust the EB-2.

The biggest heartburn I have with the EB-2 and also with the EB-3, which was already mentioned by Travis, is that it is a pain to swap miter slots unless you run it facing aft.

A note on the triangle shape- yes, it is more rigid than most at the end of the fence extension, but if you are crosscutting something that puts enough pressure on the miter extension to change the angle, then you should be using a crosscut sled instead.

I think the INCRA 1000SE currently on sale now at WoodPeckers for 105.99 is a better miter gauge and a much better deal, and has better "made in the USA" product support.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I can't use my EB-3 anymore, but I never had any trouble with flex or not fitting right. I believe the EB3 is adjustable, but mine was set correctly right out of the box.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As I said before, I HATE all miter gauges, some are just not as bad as others. The OB is one of those that is less bad than most others:gar-La;:gar-La;

I no longer have mine or the Jessem or the JDS or the some of the other "good ones".

This what I use now
. This and others like it are the way to go :icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS