Ordering a woodpecker lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have a 32 TPI lead screw on my WP Plungelift. If you change out bits a lot, 32 TPI can be a pain to crank the router up and down. I motorized my lift so it is not so much a problem. I think it is a personal choice- you need to get your hands on one and do some cranking.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Alan,
Got any pics of your motorized setup??

Mike

I have a 32 TPI lead screw on my WP Plungelift. If you change out bits a lot, 32 TPI can be a pain to crank the router up and down. I motorized my lift so it is not so much a problem. I think it is a personal choice- you need to get your hands on one and do some cranking.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I have their Unilift with the 32 pitch ... and would recommend getting the 16 pitch ... it take a lotta turns to move that baby up and down!

J

jeff...

I have their Unilift with the 32 pitch ... and would recommend getting the 16 pitch ... it take a lotta turns to move that baby up and down!

Yeah - you might want to get the quicker one - sometimes woodpeckers can get pretty testy, you don't want them at eye level very long.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Well I tend to be very anal out precision so I ordered the 32. I can always hook the drill up to it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well I tend to be very anal out precision so I ordered the 32. I can always hook the drill up to it.

I don't know if you remember my lift- but that is what I do . . . . except the drill is underneath in the cabinet. I bought an el cheapo, 3/8" drill, hooked it to an el cheapo HF right angle chuck and connect that up to the bottom of the lead screw. I also rewired the drill to a paddle switch on the front of the cabinet to control the up and down. Also, the drill could stand to be a little more powerful.

If you look carefully at my router table in the background you can see the drill and right angle chuck in the cabinet.

DP-4.JPG

KC7CN

New User
Don
I had to make the same decision when I bought my lift. I choose the 16'' TPI lift, and glad I did! It has all the precision I need, and does not take forever-and-a-day to move with the hand crank.

On those occasions when I make a lot of bit changes, I use my Makita battery powered drill as a power lift. I cut off the end of an Allen wrench and Epoxied it into a quick-disconnect socket. Set the drill clutch on the light side to prevent over torquing the lift.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS