options for turning tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've been using an old Delta 6" along with the Wolverine fixtures for sharpening my turning tools.
Been satisfied with the results but now face having to replace it.

So I'm considering a couple options and welcome advice / suggestions.
I will be making a quick purchase as I'm dead in the water as of yesterday evening.

Option A- status quo- replace with another 6" and carry on at nominal cost
Option B- go to a low speed 8" Rikon or similar currently $140 at Klingspor
Option C- shift gears to the Grizzly 8" water cooled (T10097A) on sale for $89
or 10" anniversary edition (T10010ANV) on sale for $164
Others?

The 10" Grizzly would represent about the top of my budget but I don't mind paying that or a little more if it gets me something useful.

One question I have is regarding using the Wolverine system with either of the two Grizzlys.
I realize they come with a different type of holding system but I'd rather not ditch the Wolverine.
I've got it, it works and I'm happy with it.

This is really a dedicated grinder for sharpening turning tools.

Thanks for your input

[h=1][/h]

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use an 8" slow-speed grinder with the wolverine system and good, balanced wheels.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the equivalent of the Rikon Slow speed grinder and the Grizzly 8" Wet Grinder. I also have the wolverine system and I can recommend all of the above for turning tool sharpening. The Rikon is usually on sale for under $100 - just have to look around and I'd bet Klingspor will have it on sale about 11/25. Combined with the wolverine system you have a very good sharpening system for turning tools.

One thing I've been trying to do lately is minimize sparks with all of the turning shavings laying around the shop. I have two dust collectors in the shop - one attached directly to the lathe, but there is still a lot of dust and chips around especially when touching up a turning tool. I love the wet grinder for this reason.

I still haven't found the perfect accessories for the wet grinder that the wolverine system has, but am getting very close between some from Grizzly and some from Tormek that will work with the Grizzly. I am rapidly moving towards wet grinding and working to improve the quality of fixtures to effect that change by combining Tormek and Grizzly accessories.

I posted a thread about converting the Tormek Leather Honing wheels to fit a Grizzly wet grinder a while back - maybe a year or so.

I you're a better housekeeper / shopkeeper than I am and keep the chips cleaned up from your floor, you may not worry as much as I do about metal sparks from a grinding wheel, but I'm leaning toward wet grinding more and more. If so, then the Rikon Slow Speed grinder is a very good choice and can be found on sale for $99 frequently and works with your Wolverine fixtures.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Ken- is the Wolverine a no go with the wet grinder?
Or did you simply chose to use its dedicated system and leave your wolverine on the Rikon?

llucas

luke
Senior User
I've been using a slow speed (1750) with the Wolverine jig for over 5 years and have been very happy...low speed = less heat ==happy tools...the Rikon with two separate grit AO wheels looks to fit the bill.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Luke- do you run the Fine and x-fine wheels?

Rikon users- are the wheels it ships with good?
I can figure that into the cost if I don't have to replace them as I would with most other options.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil- is that a 1700 RPM slow speed like the Rikon or a 120 RPM like the Grizzly?

1700 I also have a 10" Jet wet grinder, but it sharpens too slowly. When I am turning, I do not want to spend half my time sharpening.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
You might want to take a look at up-grading to a CBN wheel... a little expensive at first but they come with huge benefits... fine to run them on a 3400 speed grinder, very little heat so no risk of damaging tool, no wear on the wheel so there is no dressing of the wheel required, just a light touch is all that is required so very little of your steel winds up on the floor and no sparks... truly one of the best things since sliced bread....

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Got it Phil.

Tony- I was just looking at that.
The Woodturning Store has them on sale currently.
Thinking I could go with one of them and a honing wheel.
Or upgrade in that direction at a later date.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Luke- do you run the Fine and x-fine wheels?

I don't have the Rikon, but the Al Oxide wheels are 60 and 120 grit...I got them from Woodcraft with the grinder and Wolverine jig set-up...still have plenty of wheel left after 5 years.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have th Rikon with the Wolverine jig....works great. I did talk to a fellow sharpening at the Exstravaganza. He was using the new Diamond /steel wheel. Very little sparks with it and it needs no truing he said

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I'm curious about the 8" Grizzly wet grinder as well. For less than $100, the price point is extremely tempting. Anyone else have experience with this sharpener? Ken's post above is really tipping me towards grabbing one...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken- is the Wolverine a no go with the wet grinder?
Or did you simply chose to use its dedicated system and leave your wolverine on the Rikon?

I did just leave the Wolverine on the Rikon Equivalent Slow Speed grinder that I still have. Hadn't really thought about adapting it to the Wet Grinder. That might work. Some additional jigs for turning tools made for the Tormek are on my Xmas list this year. The one I have from Grizzly (turning tool jig) works pretty well though for roughing and bowl gouges, haven't tried it yet for a spindle gouge as I don't use them very much.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly 8" Wet Grinder.

I noticed this grinder has a 1/8 HP motor, does it bog down with use or is it geared so that it has plenty of torque?

Back in the 80s I had a Delta wet grinder that was way under powered and really don't want to go there again.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm curious about the 8" Grizzly wet grinder as well. For less than $100, the price point is extremely tempting. Anyone else have experience with this sharpener? Ken's post above is really tipping me towards grabbing one...

The Grizzly works very well and is as you say less than the cost of a replacement wheel for the Tormek. The Tormek is built better having such things as a stainless steel shaft that won't rust and lock up if it gets wet. A nice feature in a wet grinder, but again you pay a lot extra for the extra durability. I've had no problems with the Grizzly which I got on sale for $79 several years back. The Tormek accessories fit it and you can even adapt the Tormek honing wheel to fit the Grizzly.

Here's how to do it:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55081

As Phil mentioned, wet grinding takes a little longer than the Slow Speed Grinder but it doesn't seem excessive to me and I really like the 'no sparks' aspect of the wet grinder and that it won't remove the temper from a non-hss tool. The latter is not a big problem with a SS Grinder but is pretty much impossible with a wet grinder.

I'm using it more and more as I learn how to use it more and more.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I noticed this grinder has a 1/8 HP motor, does it bog down with use or is it geared so that it has plenty of torque?

Back in the 80s I had a Delta wet grinder that was way under powered and really don't want to go there again.

I've never had it bog down while sharpening, but I haven't exactly challenged it yet either. Sharpening gouges only a small portion of metal is touching the wheel at any given time. It turns really slow so it may be geared inside, just not sure. If you stop by one day, I'll be happy to let you try it out.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
And if you want to stick with what you know, I have a 6" delta that has been used maybe twice, $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS