online auction house

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemcguire

New User
John
Has anyone heard of or used the company www.IRSauctions.com (not to be confused with our good friends in DC)? I tend to be leary of sites requiring credit card info for no other reason than identification, but you never know. If legit, seems like a potential source for machinery and stuff. If you have used it, I'd be curious to hear your experience.

pviser

New User
paul
I am registered and get their e-mails almost daily. I got about 800 board feet of ash from them this past summer. The only problem with IRS Auctions is that they cover such a large geographic area. Before bidding, you need to factor carefully the shipping cost via motor freight.

ck1999

Chris
User
We have purchased quite a bit of stuff from their auctions. Mostly those in NC but a few in surrounding states. Some of the stuff was in good condition other stuff was useless and was trashed. You need to be careful. Most of the auctions seem to be for plants that have closed. However, a few of the auctions that we got stuff from was from companies liguidating used equipment. They make you pay for the stuff the day of or the day after the auction closes. And that is usually a few days before you can pick up the items.

I think overall you can find good stuff at reasonable prices. However, sometimes the prices are alot more that I would of paid (although I may be cheap).

We have only purchased machines and equipment. No wood or building items.

Chris

Jim Roche

jim
User
Another to keep in mind is that if you purchase something large/heavy, they may require you to have it removed by a rigging service for liability reasons. It's a good thing to check on before you bid, so you know what all your costs are up front.

Jim

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
despite the fact they are a 'sworn' enemy of my company, i will vouch that they are legit and reputable. not always the most polite folks in the world but aside from that they are legit.

most larger equipment will need to be rigged out, they always list the riggers info and you can contact them prior to bidding to get a quote. if you have the ability to get liability insurance you can usually rig stuff out yourself.

there is always the option to inspect stuff prior to bidding with all online auctions, which is something i'd highly encourage whoever you buy from.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I find it odd they want Credit Card info when they don't accept them for purchases. Factor in the cost/hassle of a wire transfer or certified check. Also, if you're buying large lots of lumber or big machines they usually require a flat bed trailer and insurance. Can you handle 3 phase power? Most of the Equipment on the block needs it.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I find it odd they want Credit Card info when they don't accept them for purchases.

the cc is requested to ensure you're an actual person and verify your identity. you'd be surprised how many people bid and then claim they have no idea how their bids were entered. requiring a cc cuts way down on that hassle.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have purchased several pieces of machinery through IRS Auctions (sorry Phil!), as well as picked up and transported a large lumber purchase for other NCWW members.

Yes, they are legit.

Be aware that there is a buyers fee on top of the auction price, and that you need to pay for your purchase via money order, wire transfer or certified check within 48 hours of the close of the auction. You will not receive the pickup instructions until they have been paid, and they will not let you "pay when you pick up".

Additionally, they typically do not cater to "Joe Woodworker with a pickup truck" in terms of loading out; they target industrial purchasers. Exceptions can be made, but usually you need to show up with a flat bed trailer that will allow your purchase to be forklifted onto it. If you think that you can show up and load up a bunch of lumber into the back of your pickup by hand, they "may" turn you away (and keep in mind that you will have already paid for your stuff).

jemcguire

New User
John
Thanks for the info, everyone. I make no assumptions when it comes to buying equipment, and I appreciate the insights. And Phil, having sworn enemies makes for great stories - like Guilder and Florin...

tonkatr

New User
Dick
I have bought three pieces of equipment from IRSauctions.com and was pleased with the transactions. I was able to call the regional sales person at IRS who was able to give me the name and number of the former owner. I called the owner and he directed me in the items I should bid on without reservation and what I should pass on.

There are three different charges. The bid price, a 10% buyers premuim, and the rigger putting the items on the pallet and shrink wrapping for shipment. I then called Twinn Model (1 800 366-8974 ext. 8774) and spoke to Paul about a shipping rate and the need for a lift gate on delivery for a shipping rate. Very reasonalbe pricing.

The way that I understand this is that Industrial Recovery Services bids and buys the entire lot of items that are to be sold. IRS then auctions them off. Watch yourself, I can't believe how high some of the bids are. For example, a 7 year old Industrial Saw Stop table saw with a 5 hp 3 phase power, 50" fence, and mitre guage recently sold for over $3,000. That was without the 10% premium and rigging charge. Hope that this helps.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS