Ongoing shop reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
In my never-ending attempt to store as much stuff in my 11.5' x 22.5' shop I am in the middle of yet another shop reorganization.

Step 1 was the sysport. I post it in its own thread but here is an updated photo. All the trays are done and I have moved the unit to where the lathe used to be. I built a small parts drawer on the upper left. All that is left is to add the face frames. I need to plane some maple to 3/4" and then cut the thin strips.

P1080160.JPG

Next I decided that the storage shelve I had on the wall in the corner were not serving me well. They became a storage for stuff I used very infrequently. And they took up prime real estate. I was originally going to get rid of them, but then decided to move them as high as I could (above the dust pipe). You can just see the bottoms of them in this pic. The space they occupied now has my new shelves holding my Woodworking magazine archive. These shelves were made using the Festool Domino. It was awesome to use! I put oak face frames on them.

P1080159.JPG

There are two more steps (at least) in this re-org. Next is a cabinet for under the new lathe to store my lathe related supplies and tools. It is amazing how much stuff for the lathe is needed. I moved the lathe as shown here. The part cabinet needs to be moved higher on the wall so that it is out of the way. I may build a new one using Dominos (ah yet anoither step :BangHead:).

P1080161.JPG

Finally, I want to replace my peg boards with a real tool cabinet. I am hoping to make something more than the "shop quality" stuff I have built in the past, i.e., low quality plywood cabinets.

Thanks for reading.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doug, that's looking GREAT! I like how you built that sysport.

sometimes I think that it's more fun to "build the shop" than to "build the things in the shop", or at least it seems that way to me.

When I'm building a tool, I always enjoy the satisfaction afterward that comes from using the tool.

Scott

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I forgot to add the highlight of this adventure. As I was taking one of the carcasses off the wall to add the face frames I got a wicked plywood splinter! :eek: I followed my first instinct, which was stupid, :BangHead: and let go off the carcass to nurse my hand. Well guess what happened next... it hit me in the head and face! I havea bump and scratch on my head and a cut between my eyes. :no::embaresse. While I did not take a pic of this, trust me it happened. I am not proud. Luckily I am hard headed.

BTW: Why does my wife think that Neosporan cures everything? Its like the new Robitussin.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
The shop is looking great Doug! Sorry to hear about the cabinet incident. Just tell everyone "you should see the other guy." :gar-La;

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Doug,
Awesome looking shop! I like the Mag org.

Sorry bout' your boo-boo, tho. Your wife is right about neosporin!
that stuff is awesome. Use all the time on hands for little nicks, etc...

It cleans, reduces sting/pain and heals the wound fast with little evidence of scarring etc...

I used when I cut my thumb on TS a year or so ago (very bad cut, could have easily used a stitch or two) but opted to bandage and use the Neo.

Now you can hardly see any scarring and have full use of thumb. I was also very lucky!

Keep us updated on shop build out!
Matt

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I forgot to add the highlight of this adventure. As I was taking one of the carcasses off the wall to add the face frames I got a wicked plywood splinter! :eek: I followed my first instinct, which was stupid, :BangHead: and let go off the carcass to nurse my hand. Well guess what happened next... it hit me in the head and face! I havea bump and scratch on my head and a cut between my eyes. :no::embaresse. While I did not take a pic of this, trust me it happened. I am not proud. Luckily I am hard headed.

BTW: Why does my wife think that Neosporan cures everything? Its like the new Robitussin.

Neosporin

sapwood

New User
Roger
You've been busy, Doug. And definitely living up to your sig line :icon_thum

Although I'm sure many will question my medical qualifications (and rightly so :embaresse), Polysporin is superior to neosporin. I use it almost everyday :confused_
Health professionals are concerned about people building resistance to neosporin.

Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Doug,
Your shop has always amazed me with the amount of equipment and the organization that you have. I still can't believe that you fit it all in 260 sq/ft, and you still have room for the household vacuum system too :gar-La;!

It's definitely equipped differently now than it was for the first shop tour, eventually we will have to put you in for another tour:wink_smil.

Good Luck.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I thought Windex was the cure-all:dontknow:
Nice job as usual and sorry about your injuries! Did you make the magazine boxes too? All my mags are stuffed into plastic bins and can't find nuthin. Need to scan the few articles I want to keep and donate 'em.

Adirondax

New User
Adirondax
Doug,

I need a plan view of your shop! Before and after. (I'm a visual learner!)

I did a reorg in my shop several years ago and had a punchlist 2 pages long. Took about a week to get everything in its place, but things flow much better now.

Good luck.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I thought Windex was the cure-all:dontknow:

Wasn't that from a Seinfeld episode with George's dad spraying Windex on everything that ached?

Doug, excellent Festool organizer and I like the magazine storage. Shop organization is a never ending project for me. I'd get all of the tools situated and go make a project to find that tool X needs to be moved where tool Y is for ease of use.

Great job

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS