On boxes and art

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Based on comments in another thread about boxes: First foray into boxes

l wanted to show my latest box and expand on comments by Mike Davis about artful interpretations of boxes.

This is "A Small Box for Precious Memories." Bubinga, brass and gold foil. 5.75" x 5.75" x 4.25".

Bubinga Box 1.jpg

Inspired as a gift for an elderly relative, it is my first use of an exotic wood. Sides are a little less than 3/8", top is about 7/8". Top is tapered to sit like a stopper, and top is pillowed. At that thickness it's surprisingly heavy, an intentional design element to demand the user's attention.

Bubinga Box 2.jpg

The top is highly figured and the carved brass pull is organically irregular. When the top is lifted there's (I hope) a bright surprise:

Bubinga Box Detail.jpg

Gold leaf over black enamel in a distressed pattern. Interior sides are also tinted darker to make the bottom feel brighter. The bottom side of the top also has gold leaf but framed in darker molding and in a more distressed pattern.
Bubinga Box Detail 2.jpg

I hope that I've created an box that's artful and expressive. Happy to hear comments or start a broader conversation about fine box building.

Mike

Attachments

• Bubinga Box Detail.jpg
    Bubinga Box Detail.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Bubinga Box Detail.jpg
    Bubinga Box Detail.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 59

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is beautiful and perfectly proportioned, the gold is an exquisite touch. It has an oriental feel and every detail is balanced so that no one feature is overwhelming.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, that is stunningly beautiful box...beautiful craftsmanship and design! Thank you for sharing!

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Thanks all for the kind words.

Jim: I use tapering corners on most of my box tops. I've experimented with various cutting, hand planing, rasping and sanding techniques, now it's mostly hogging off with a belt/disk sander and then hand sanding to finish. It's more sculptural than it is fine woodworking - I keep removing material until it looks and feels like I want it to.
Mike

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Really nice box and I like the organic feel it has. The gold leaf on black is a very nice and unusual embellishment that really sets this apart. Well done.

Kelly

Kelly
User
I love making boxes while waiting for glue to dry on other projects. There is always enough scrap just waiting to become something beautiful. And people love to get them as gifts, no matter what.
The gold leaf is excellent. There are some gold leaf books for sale on the For Sale forum. I think I will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors