Old Time Woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Neat video James!
That's got Roy Underhill all over it if I've ever seen anything! Wonder if he's ever done any Swedish Woodworking programs? I've seen a few German.
Mike Davis needs to see the spoon making footage. Looks similar to the process I've seen here.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Thanx for the link bro :icon_thum
check out some of the other ones as well .....wallpaper making etc

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not a linguist, but if it's sabots they're making you might get Bas to pitch in with a translate.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I'll tell you what really amazes me - no vices, no clamps, unless you want to call the log on legs with a couple of wedges a bench and vice! Their bodies are essentially another tool. There is a lot to learn from those who have gone before us. Thanks for sharing the great video

Matt

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Man, I need a forge! Those old tools were so much more efficient than today's in some cases. I mean i wouldn't give up my jointer and planer (and seriously a tablesaw?) no WAY! On the other hand, I'd like to see a pure power guy do some of those operations.

I have seen most of those before. Some of the British boards I hang out on bring them up quite often.

There is a clip of a Romanian guy making a spoon that will blow you away. You have to be making those things everyday to get fast at it. I have seen some of the old guys make a spoon in three minutes with just an ax and a couple knives. It takes me a couple hours.

algustaf

New User
Al
So why do I feel inadequate with my $5000 worth of power tools and accesories?
I guess I should stop my whining about not having a dedicated mortiser and a ..........

Thanks for sharing a cool video. I am passing that on to some friends.

02blues

New User
john
These guys are my heroes. The old style takes time, muscle and practice but I think this way of working is very rewarding. It is one heck of a workout too. PS Love that farm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS